2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Mar 23, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata are $762 a year with full coverage. Comprehensive insurance costs approximately $116 each year, collision costs $134, and liability coverage costs $376. Buying a liability-only policy costs as little as $426 a year, with high-risk insurance costing $1,628 or more. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at $3,116 a year or more.
Annual premium for full coverage: $762
Rate estimates for 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a 40-year-old driver, prices range go from as low as $426 for the bare minimum liability coverage to a high rate of $1,628 for high-risk insurance.
These differences demonstrate why all drivers should compare rates using their specific location and risk profile, rather than using price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata Insurance
No one in their right mind looks forward to buying auto insurance, particularly when they are paying too much.
With so many choices of insurance companies, it’s difficult to locate the cheapest car insurance company.
It’s smart to compare prices periodically because prices change regularly. Just because you found the best rates on MX-5 Miata coverage six months ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. So block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in the fastest way to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Finding the best rates is easy if you know what you’re doing. Essentially every vehicle owner who shops for insurance most likely will be able to save money. But consumers can benefit from knowing how the larger insurance companies sell insurance online and take advantage of how the system works.
Factors determining your Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance premium
It’s important that you understand the factors that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Pleasure use saves money – The more miles you rack up on your Mazda in a year’s time the higher your rate. The majority of insurers apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos left parked in the garage can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Make sure your car insurance policy shows how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money. If your policy improperly rates your MX-5 Miata may be wasting your money.
- Save money with special equipment – Purchasing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping car theft.
- Do you know your deductibles? – Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your Mazda from damage. Examples of covered claims would be colliding with a building, damage from fire, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. The more money you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive on MX-5 Miata coverage.
- Older drivers save more – Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers. Young drivers have a tendency to be more careless behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Traffic violations increase rates – Whether or not you get tickets has a big impact on rates. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Just one speeding ticket can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Drivers with dangerous tickets such as DUI or reckless driving are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Add-on coverages can add up – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that can waste your money when buying car insurance. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
Compare Quotes for Insurance Coverage
The are a couple different ways of comparing rates from local insurance coverage companies. The best way to compare 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance prices is to perform an online rate comparison. This can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- One of the best ways to find low rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison (click to open form in new window). This easy form saves time by eliminating a different quote for each company. One form submission gets rate comparisons direct from many companies.
- A less efficient way to compare prices consists of going to each company website to complete their respective quote request forms. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want rates from Allstate, Esurance and Progressive. You would have to visit each site to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in your area, click here.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just compare identical information for every quote you compare. If you use different values for each quote then you won’t be able to find the best deal for your Mazda MX-5 Miata. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages may result in large price differences. And when quoting insurance coverage, remember that comparing a large number of companies gives you a better chance of getting a lower rate.
Beware of misleading auto insurance ads
Auto insurance providers like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO regularly use ads in print and on television. They all say the same thing about savings if you move to their company. How can each company claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
Insurance companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of customer they prefer to insure. For example, a preferred risk might be over the age of 40, owns a home, and has excellent credit. Any new insured who fits that profile will get the preferred rates and therefore will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Consumers who do not match the “perfect” profile will have to pay more money and this can result in business not being written. The ad wording is “people who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That is how companies can claim big savings. Because of the profiling, you should get quotes from several different companies. It is impossible to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
Discounts on Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched some of the best known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a driver safety course could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home may trigger a car insurance policy discount because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Senior Citizens – Older drivers may qualify for a discount up to 10% on MX-5 Miata coverage.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for buying a policy before your current policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance coverage on a new car is cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
- Multiple Cars – Having all your vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Memberships – Participating in certain professional organizations may earn a discount when shopping for car insurance on MX-5 Miata coverage.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Insurance companies that possibly offer these money-saving discounts include:
Double check with each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Discounts might not apply in every state.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Tailor your coverage to you
When buying the right insurance coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Every insured’s situation is different and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions could help you determine whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Who is covered when they drive my 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Detailed coverages of your insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of your policy helps when choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find the normal coverages available from insurance companies.
Insurance for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for expenses for X-ray expenses, chiropractic care and hospital visits. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
This coverage provides protection when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Since many drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
This coverage protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people that is your fault. It protects you against claims from other people, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 50/100/50 which means $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $100,000 for the entire accident, and $50,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as pain and suffering, structural damage, court costs, funeral expenses and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things like vandalism, a broken windshield, falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from getting keyed. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision coverage protection
This covers damage to your MX-5 Miata from colliding with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as colliding with another moving vehicle, backing into a parked car, hitting a parking meter and crashing into a ditch. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Don’t break the bank
The cheapest 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance is available both online and with local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
When shopping online for car insurance, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. In too many instances, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Other learning opportunities
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,203|
|Los Angeles, CA||$1,302|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$43|
|5-yr Claim Free||$47|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$25|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.