2008 Volkswagen GLI Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Mar 4, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Trying to find better auto insurance rates for your Volkswagen GLI? Scraping up a payment for overpriced Volkswagen GLI insurance can dwindle your bank account, especially in this economy. Comparing price quotes is a great way to help make ends meet.
Because there are so many companies and agents to choose from, it can be diffult for consumers to locate the lowest price insurer.
Compare Insurance Costs
There are a lot of ways to shop for insurance, but one way is less time-consuming than others. You could waste a few hours talking about coverages with insurance agencies in your area, or you can stay home and use online quoting to get prices fast.
All the larger companies enroll in a system that enables customers to enter their coverage request one time, and each company returns a competitive quote for coverage. This eliminates the need for form submissions to each individual insurance company.
To participate in this free quote system, click here to open in new window.
One minor caviat to doing it this way is you cannot specify the insurers to get quotes from. If you would rather choose individual companies to compare rates, we have a page of insurance companies in your area. Click here for list of insurance companies.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but make sure you use apples-to-apples quote information for every company. If the quotes have different deductibles it will be next to impossible to determine which rate is truly the best. Just a small difference in limits can make a big difference in price. And when comparison shopping, having more price comparisons helps you find the best price.
The insurance bait and switch
Insurance companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO consistently run television and radio advertisements. They all seem to make the same claim of big savings if you change to them. How do they all say the same thing?
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the driver they prefer to insure. For instance, a preferred risk could be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no driving citations, and has great credit. Any new insured who fits that profile will qualify for the lowest rates and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who fall outside the “perfect” profile must pay a higher premium which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “people who switch” not “people who quote” save money. That’s the way insurance companies can state the savings. This illustrates why you need to compare many company’s rates. It’s not possible to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
Parts of the Volkswagen GLI rate equation
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. Understanding what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine premiums.
- Do you know your deductibles? – Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your Volkswagen. A few examples of covered claims would be collision with another vehicle, collision with an animal, and burglary. Physical damage deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. The more expense you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive for GLI insurance.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Both sexes tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also get cited for more serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Companies give discounts to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Lower rates come with age – Teen drivers are statistically proven to be more careless when driving so car insurance rates are higher. Having to add a young driver onto your car insurance can be very expensive. More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Discounts for multiple policies – Many companies provide better rates to insureds who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount, you still need to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list every discount very clearly, so we took the time to find both the well known and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using.
- Auto/Life Discount – Larger companies have lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% less for GLI insurance than drivers with accidents.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers may be able to get a discount up to 10% for GLI insurance.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for signing up before your current policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- Good Students Pay Less – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who live away from home and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck.
To see a list of companies with the best auto insurance discounts, click here.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- What if I total my 2008 Volkswagen GLI and owe more than it’s worth?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my 2008 Volkswagen GLI to commute?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Auto insurance 101
Knowing the specifics of your policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are typical coverages found on most insurance policies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Volkswagen GLI.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
This coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people in an accident. It protects YOU against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 25/50/25 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things such as medical services, structural damage, pain and suffering and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for bills for prosthetic devices, funeral costs and doctor visits. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Auto collision coverage
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things like scraping a guard rail, damaging your car on a curb and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to increase the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as vandalism, fire damage, theft, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Never pay more for less
Cheaper 2008 Volkswagen GLI insurance can be found from both online companies in addition to many insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
We just covered a lot of techniques to save on insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the best price on auto insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like GEICO and State Farm.
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Much Does Car Insurance Cost?
- Cheap Car Insurance: Myth or Reality?
- Will a Speeding Ticket Raise My Car Insurance Rates?
- Car Insurance Rates 2018: Why are Prices Increasing?
- How Much Does Car Insurance Cost for a 16 Year Old?
- Which Cars are Cheapest to Insure?
- Does a Teenager with a Learner’s Permit Need to be Listed on my Policy?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Subaru Forester Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Toyota Highlander Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area