2016 Subaru Legacy Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Dec 18, 2019
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2016 Subaru Legacy are $1,296 a year for full coverage. Comprehensive insurance costs an estimated $326 a year, collision insurance costs $458, and liability coverage costs around $376. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $426 a year, and high-risk insurance costs $2,766 or more. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at up to $4,696 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,296
Rate estimates for 2016 Subaru Legacy Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2016 Subaru Legacy models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a middle-aged driver, prices range range from as low as $426 for the bare minimum liability coverage to a high of $2,766 for a high risk driver.
These differences show why it is important for drivers to compare prices for a targeted area and risk profile, rather than using price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2016 Subaru Legacy Insurance
Want the cheapest car insurance rates for your Subaru Legacy? Tired of scraping nickels together to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other vehicle owners.
Lots of insurance companies contend for your insurance dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates to find the lowest rate possible.
If you currently have car insurance, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using these methods. Finding affordable coverage is not that difficult. But consumers must understand how the larger insurance companies market on the web and use this information to your advantage.
Eight things that influence your insurance prices
Consumers need to have an understanding of a few of the rating criteria that are used to determine your policy premiums. When you understand what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that may result in lower premium levels. Many things are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more transparent like your continuous coverage or your commute time.
The following are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by companies to determine your rates.
- Teenagers vs. experienced drivers – Drivers with little experience have a tendency to be inattentive and easily distracted when at the wheel of a vehicle and because of this, their insurance coverage rates are much higher. Parents adding a youthful driver onto your insurance coverage can be quite pricey. Older insureds are shown to be more cautious, tend to file fewer claims and receive fewer citations.
- Discounts for married drivers – Having a wife or husband may save some money when shopping for insurance coverage. Having a spouse may mean you are more mature and responsible and statistics prove married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Credit rating impacts premiums – An insured’s credit score will be a significant factor in calculating your premium rate. So if your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you may save money insuring your 2016 Subaru Legacy by repairing your credit. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
- Driving citations can be expensive – Careful drivers get better prices as compared to careless drivers. Even one citation may cause rates to rise by twenty percent. Drivers who have careless violations like DUI or willful reckless driving may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state’s licensing department in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Discounts for auto and home policies – Many companies apply a discount to insureds that purchase more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even though this discount sounds good, consumers should still compare rates to make sure you are getting the best deal. Drivers may still save money by buying from different companies
- Cut rates and deter theft – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your insurance coverage. Anti-theft features such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help prevent car theft.
- Too many claims drive up insurance coverage rates – If you frequently file small claims, you shouldn’t be surprised to get increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Auto insurance companies generally give the best rates to insureds who are not frequent claim filers. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Certain vocations raise rates – Jobs such as doctors, architects and emergency personnel generally have higher rates than average in part from high stress and extremely grueling work hours. Other jobs like actors, athletes and retirees pay lower than average rates for Legacy insurance.
Discount insurance quotes
Some insurers do not advertise every available discount very clearly, so the following is a list of both the well known and the more hidden insurance savings.
- Early Payment Discounts – If you can afford to pay the entire bill as opposed to paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- College Student Discount – Children who live away from home to go to college without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Life Insurance Discount – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a discounted price on car insurance if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Driver Safety – Taking part in a class that teaches defensive driving techniques could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for renewing your policy prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Active Military Service – Being on active duty in the military may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Accident Forgiveness – but a few companies such as GEICO, Allstate and Liberty Mutual may permit one accident before raising your premiums so long as you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it’s just not the way it works. But all discounts should help lower the cost of your policy.
Some of the larger companies that may offer these discounts are:
It’s a good idea to ask all companies you are considering how many discounts you can get. All car insurance discounts may not be offered everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies who offer insurance discounts, click here to view.
Big brands don’t always mean big savings
Car insurance providers like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm seem to constantly run television and radio advertisements. They all seem to advertise claims about savings if you switch to them. But how can every company charge lower premium rates? Just pay attention to how they say it.
Companies have underwriting criteria for the type of customer that earns them a profit. An example of a desirable risk might have to be a mature driver, has few claims, and does not commute to work. Any driver that matches those criteria receive the lowest rate quotes as well as save when switching.
Consumers who don’t measure up to these criteria will be charged higher rates which results in business going elsewhere. The ads say “people who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save the amount stated. This is how companies can truthfully advertise the way they do.
Each company has different criteria, so it’s extremely important to get car insurance quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions might help in determining whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Specific coverages for a 2016 Subaru Legacy
Having a good grasp of a insurance policy can help you determine the best coverages for your vehicles. Insurance terms can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Listed below are the normal coverages offered by insurance companies.
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to people or other property. This coverage protects you from claims by other people, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see values of 50/100/50 that means you have $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $100,000 for the entire accident, and $50,000 of coverage for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for things such as pain and suffering, repair costs for stationary objects, loss of income and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but buy as large an amount as possible.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses such as rehabilitation expenses, pain medications and EMT expenses. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive auto coverage
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like a broken windshield, theft, damage from getting keyed, fire damage and vandalism. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider dropping full coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family and damage to your Subaru Legacy.
Due to the fact that many drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Collision coverage pays for damage to your Legacy from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims like damaging your car on a curb, hitting a parking meter, crashing into a ditch, sideswiping another vehicle and driving through your garage door. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible to bring the cost down.
Saving money makes a lot of cents
When getting car insurance quotes online, it’s very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
A few companies may not have price quotes online and many times these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents. Discount 2016 Subaru Legacy insurance is possible on the web in addition to many insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
Additional information is located below:
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Insitute)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$2,043|
|Los Angeles, CA||$2,214|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$92|
|5-yr Claim Free||$83|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$58|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.