2019 Tesla Model S Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Apr 9, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2019 Tesla Model S are $2,136 a year for full coverage. Comprehensive insurance costs around $532 each year, collision insurance costs $1,130, and liability costs around $338. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $394 a year, and high-risk insurance costs $4,672 or more. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at up to $7,458 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $2,136
Rate estimates for 2019 Tesla Model S Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2019 Tesla Model S models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a 40-year-old driver, prices range range from as low as $394 for just liability insurance to a high rate of $4,672 for high-risk insurance.
These differences show why all drivers should compare prices for a specific zip code and risk profile, instead of making a decision based on price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2019 Tesla Model S Insurance
Looking for the cheapest car insurance rates for your Tesla Model S? Finding the cheapest insurance for a new or used Tesla Model S can turn out to be a lot of work, but you can learn these tips to make it easier.
There are both good and bad ways to shop for car insurance and we’ll show you the best way to price shop coverage for a Tesla and locate the best price possible either online or from local insurance agents.
Lower rate quotes with these discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list every available discount very clearly, so the next list breaks down both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems can stop better under adverse conditions so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- College Student Discount – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Good Student – Excelling in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a driver safety class could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Memberships – Belonging to qualifying clubs or civic groups is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for insurance coverage.
- Driver Education Discount – Have your child sucessfully take a drivers education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- No Accidents – Drivers who stay claim-free are rewarded with significantly better rates on insurance quote in comparison to accident-prone drivers.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way.
A list of insurance coverage companies and the discounts they provide include:
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for bundle discounts, pay in full, electronic funds transfer, alternative fuel, homeowner, and multi-car.
- Esurance has savings for anti-lock brakes, online shopper, good student, safety device, online quote, paid-in-full, and emergency road assistance.
- State Farm includes discounts for good driver, good student, passive restraint, multiple autos, student away at school, and defensive driving training.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including military active duty, emergency military deployment, membership and employees, five-year accident-free, seat belt use, daytime running lights, and federal employee.
- Allstate offers discounts for 55 and retired, utility vehicle, FullPay discount, teenSMART discount, anti-lock brakes, and auto/life discount.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be available to policyholders in your area. If you would like to view companies that provide some of the discounts listed above, enter your zip code here.
Which auto insurance is cheapest?
Getting a cheaper price on 2019 Tesla Model S insurance is surprisingly easy. The only thing you need to do is invest a little time to compare free insurance quotes online with multiple companies. Insurance prices can be quoted in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- If you’re in a hurry, the quickest way to get quotes for comparison is to use a rate comparison form. This easy form saves time by eliminating a different quote for each company. Taking the time to complete one form will return quotes from auto insurance companies with the best prices.It’s the quickest way to get rates.
- A harder way to get quotes online requires a visit to the website for each individual company and request a quote. For instance, we’ll pretend you want rates from Auto-Owners, GEICO and American Family. To do that, you would have to spend time on each company’s site and enter your information, which can get old fast.
Whichever method you choose, make sure you use the exact same coverage limits with each company. If you use mixed coverages you will not be able to determine which rate is truly the best.
Insurance can be complex
When it comes to choosing coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions may help highlight whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out your zip code. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Auto insurance coverage information
Understanding the coverages of your insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive insurance – This will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as hitting a deer, a broken windshield and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The highest amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision coverage – This covers damage to your Model S from colliding with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers claims like hitting a parking meter, crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb, rolling your car and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to bump up the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and damage to your Tesla Model S.
Due to the fact that many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Coverage for medical expenses – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for immediate expenses for things like dental work, chiropractic care, ambulance fees and doctor visits. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Liability coverage – This coverage can cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people. It protects YOU from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 100/300/100 that means you have $100,000 bodily injury coverage, $300,000 for the entire accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged propery. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as loss of income, medical expenses and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but you should buy higher limits if possible.
Save for a rainy day
As you quote insurance, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
Consumers change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including poor customer service, being labeled a high risk driver, not issuing a premium refund or even high rates after DUI convictions. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company is actually quite simple.
Cost effective 2019 Tesla Model S insurance can be purchased both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so get free insurance quotes from both of them to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some auto insurance companies may not have rate quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through independent agencies.
For more information, feel free to visit the resources below:
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$3,372|
|Los Angeles, CA||$3,654|
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$183|
|5-yr Claim Free||$144|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$117|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.