2020 GMC Sierra Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Apr 9, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2020 GMC Sierra are $1,438 a year for full coverage. Comprehensive costs approximately $320 a year, collision insurance costs $570, and liability insurance costs $390. Buying a liability-only policy costs as little as $452 a year, and high-risk insurance costs around $3,108. Teenage drivers receive the highest rates at up to $5,306 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,438
Rate estimates for 2020 GMC Sierra Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2020 GMC Sierra models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For the average driver, prices range range from as low as $452 for just liability coverage to a high of $3,108 for a driver that may need high-risk insurance.
These differences show why it is important for drivers to compare rates using their specific location and risk profile, rather than relying on average rates.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2020 GMC Sierra Insurance
Looking for lower car insurance rates for your GMC Sierra 1500? Wish you could get out of high-priced car insurance? It’s quite common and many consumers are in the same pinch. Since drivers have many options when it comes to car insurance, it can be diffult for people to choose the right car insurance company.
It’s a good habit to shop coverage around yearly because insurance prices fluctuate regularly. Just because you had the lowest rates for Sierra coverage a couple years back you can probably find a lower rate today. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in one of the easiest ways to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Get cheaper car insurance with discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there could be available discounts to cut the cost considerably. Certain discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but some discounts are required to be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few companies allow discounts for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiration. You could save around 10% when you buy auto insurance online.
- Active Military Service – Having an actively deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Federal Employees – Federal government employees may qualify for a discount when you quote auto insurance for Sierra coverage with select insurance companies.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than spreading payments over time you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings up to 30%.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Claim-free drivers have much lower rates as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and will save you 10% or more.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any amount of discount will definitely reduce your policy premium.
Large car insurance companies and their possible discounts can be read below.
- State Farm offers discounts including accident-free, multiple policy, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, passive restraint, and defensive driving training.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for early shopping, switch companies, distant student, teen driver, pay in full, and bundle discounts.
- Progressive may include discounts for online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, good student, continuous coverage, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- GEICO has savings for driver training, anti-lock brakes, multi-vehicle, five-year accident-free, and daytime running lights.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for multiple vehicles, anti-theft, multi-policy, teen driver, air bags, safe vehicle, and anti-lock brakes.
- The Hartford has discounts for vehicle fuel type, air bag, bundle, driver training, defensive driver, anti-theft, and good student.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for renewal discount, good student, multi-vehicle, youthful driver, multi-policy, and safe driver.
- USAA may have discounts that include driver training, defensive driver, vehicle storage, new vehicle, loyalty savings, annual mileage, and multi-policy.
When getting free auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not be offered everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of car insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts, enter your zip code here.
How to get free auto insurance quotes online
Most larger insurance companies like Allstate and Progressive give coverage price quotes on the web. Obtaining pricing is possible for anyone as you just type in your required coverages into a form. Upon sending the form, the quote system gets reports for credit and driving violations and generates a price based on the data you entered. Being able to quote online makes it easy to compare insurance prices but the time it takes to visit many different websites and type in the same information can get tiresome after awhile. But it’s also necessary to do this if you are searching for a better rate.
There is a better way!
The preferred way to find lower prices is to use a quote form that obtains quotes from a bunch of companies at once. It’s a real time-saver, requires less work, and makes comparison shopping much easier to do. Immediately after you send the form, it is rated and you can choose any one of the resulting price quotes.
If the quotes result in lower rates, you can click and sign and buy the policy. It can be completed in a matter of minutes and may save quite a bit of money.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, simply enter your zip code here and submit the form. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you replicate your coverages just like they are on your policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will be getting rate comparison quotes based on similar coverages.
Get more affordable insurance premiums by understanding these factors
Lots of factors are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, although others are more transparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the different types of things that come into play when calculating your car insurance rates. If you know what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you big savings.
- Lower coverage deductibles cost more – Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles are how much you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be rearending another vehicle, animal collisions, and damage caused by road hazards. The larger the amount you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive for Sierra coverage.
- Cars with good safety ratings save money – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety result in less severe injuries and lower injury rates means your insurance company pays less and cheaper rates on your policy.
- High credit scores save money – Having a bad credit rating factor in determining your rates. People with good credit tend to be better risks to insure as compared to drivers with bad credit. So if your credit rating can be improved, you could save money insuring your 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 if you improve your credit rating.
- How your age affects premiums – More mature drivers are more responsible, file fewer claims , and usually have better credit.Inexperience drivers have a tendency to be easily distracted behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Lower stress equals lower car insurance rates – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Jobs like military generals, architects and financial analysts generally pay higher rates than the rest of us attributed to job stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, occupations like actors, athletes and homemakers pay the least for Sierra coverage.
- Theft deterrents save – Selecting a car model with advanced anti-theft systems can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft devices such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When choosing coverage, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you might need professional guidance.
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Am I covered if I break a side mirror?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete your zip code. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
The largest companies are not always cheapest
Drivers constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings for switching by Allstate and Progressive. All the ads convey the message of big savings after switching your auto insurance coverage to their company.
How can each company charge you a lower premium? This is the way they can do it.
Auto insurance companies require specific criteria for the driver that will not have excessive claims. For instance, this type of insured could possibly be between 25 and 40, owns a home, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. Someone that hits that “sweet spot” receives the best premium rates and will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential customers who are not a match for the ideal profile may receive a higher premium which results in the customer not buying. The wording the ads use say “people who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. This is how insurance companies can confidently lure you into getting a quote.
Because of these techniques, you really need to compare quotes as often as possible. Because you cannot predict with any certainty which company will fit your personal profile best.
Auto insurance coverages
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are typical coverages found on the average car insurance policy.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for bills like X-ray expenses, prosthetic devices, EMT expenses and hospital visits. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your GMC Sierra 1500.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Normally these limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Liability auto insurance
Liability insurance can cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 100/300/100 which stand for a $100,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $300,000, and a limit of $100,000 paid for damaged property. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL that pays claims from the same limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as repair costs for stationary objects, loss of income, court costs, funeral expenses and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible.
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your Sierra 1500 resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things such as hitting a mailbox, sustaining damage from a pot hole and colliding with another moving vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. You can also increase the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
This coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as falling objects, hail damage and vandalism. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage on a shoestring budget
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to reduce 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 insurance car insurance rates online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive auto insurance. You may even find the lowest car insurance rates come from some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets than their larger competitors like Allstate and Progressive.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Even more information can be found in the articles below:
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$2,274|
|Los Angeles, CA||$2,457|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$107|
|5-yr Claim Free||$93|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$67|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.