Cheapest 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Searching for the cheapest insurance rates for your Chevrolet Lumina? Are you tired of scraping the payment together each month for car insurance? You are no different than many other consumers. Many insurance companies vie for your business, so it can be very hard to choose a insurer and get the definite lowest price
If you have insurance now or need new coverage, you can use this information to reduce the price you pay and still get good coverage. Choosing the best insurance company for you is not that difficult. Drivers only need an understanding of the proper way to shop for car insurance over the internet.
More discounts equal less premium
Companies don’t necessarily list all their discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find both the well known and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a civic or occupational organization may earn a discount when buying car insurance on Lumina coverage.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially when compared with drivers who are more careless.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts up to age 25.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won’t be that lucky.
Insurance companies who might offer these money-saving discounts include:
- State Farm
- 21st Century
- American Family
- The Hartford
Check with each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some discounts might not apply in your state.
Why your Chevy Lumina might be costing you more
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
The list below includes some of the items that factor into prices.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Only having one citation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Drivers with serious tickets like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Being married is a good thing – Being married actually saves money on auto insurance. Marriage means you’re more responsible and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
- Men pay higher rates – Statistics demonstrate that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Men and women tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you. If the Chevy Lumina scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
It’s not one size fits all
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions can help discover whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- I have health insurance so do I need medical payments coverage?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- What if I total my 1996 Chevy Lumina and owe more than it’s worth?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Information about specific coverages
Learning about specific coverages of insurance can help you determine appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Insurance terms can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Shown next are the usual coverages found on most insurance policies.
Comprehensive auto coverage – This pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as hitting a bird, damage from a tornado or hurricane, damage from getting keyed, rock chips in glass and fire damage. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision coverages – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims like colliding with a tree, hitting a parking meter and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Lumina.
Due to the fact that many drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Medical payments and PIP coverage – Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for bills such as ambulance fees, doctor visits, X-ray expenses and nursing services. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability auto insurance – Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property in an accident. This insurance protects YOU against claims from other people. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see limits of 100/300/100 which means $100,000 bodily injury coverage, $300,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $100,000.
Liability insurance covers claims such as repair costs for stationary objects, medical expenses, attorney fees, loss of income and court costs. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but buy as much as you can afford.
Don’t break the bank
When buying insurance coverage, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford.
Affordable 1996 Chevy Lumina insurance can be found from both online companies in addition to many insurance agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Insitute)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Ford Focus Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Volkswagen Jetta Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area