Phoenix Car Insurance Rates
Enter your Arizona zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Drivers in Phoenix can expect to pay an average of $1,870 a year for full coverage, with comprehensive insurance costing $412, collision insurance costing $750, and liability insurance costing $496 for an average vehicle. Good drivers may find discount rates as low as $1,075, while higher risk drivers could see rates exceed $4,000 a year. State Farm, GEICO, and Progressive are the most popular auto insurers in Arizona, but The Hartford tends to have the overall cheapest rates.
If full coverage is not required, drivers could find liability-only coverage for as little as $48 a month, depending on the limits required. Arizona requires drivers to carry minimum bodily injury liability of $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident, with minimum property damage liability of $10,000.
The information below details the average cost of car insurance, rates for high-risk and teen drivers, rates by vehicle make and model, average rates and discounts by company, and additional information.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,630
Rate estimates by individual coverage type:
Average rates are figured based on a 40-year-old driver with a good driving record, full coverage with $500 physical damage deductibles, 30/60/30 liability limits, and rated for an average passenger sedan.
Price Range for Car Insurance in Phoenix
Drivers will find the cheapest rates for a liability-only policy, which is the minimum coverage required for any vehicle in Arizona. Adding full coverage (comprehensive and collision insurance) adds approximately $1,285 a year to the cost of a policy. Higher deductibles can lower this cost by around $260 a year, while lower deductibles could cost over $510 a year more.
Drivers with excessive minor driving violations or major violations like DUI, reckless driving, or driving on a suspended license, could pay as much as $180 a month more than the average good driver. They may be required to purchase insurance from a non-standard company, which specializes in high-risk car insurance.
Auto insurance prices can be significantly different based on exactly where you live in Phoenix. To get the most accurate assessment of how much coverage will cost, enter your zip code below for a list of companies that offer low online rates.
Enter your Phoenix zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Phoenix Car Insurance Rates by Vehicle Make and Model
The type of vehicle you drive has a significant impact on how much car insurance costs. Vehicles with more performance, higher price tags, or increased frequency of liability claims will cost more to insure. Lower-cost vehicles with excellent safety ratings generally have the best insurance rates in Phoenix.
|Make and Model||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Rates for Your Vehicle Go|
Insurance Providers by Market Share and Average Price
State Farm insures the most vehicles in the state of Arizona, with over 17% of the written premium. GEICO and Progressive tend to be slightly cheaper on average than State Farm, and those two companies have a combined 23.1% of the Arizona auto insurance market.
Rates for these top ten companies are averaged for the entire state of Arizona, so since Phoenix has some of the higher rates in the state, average prices will be approximately 40% higher in that market.
|Rank||Company||Market Share||Average Rate|
|Get Your Rates Go|
Source: National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) 2015 Market Share Report and The Zebra
Drivers who qualify for multiple discounts could pay as much as 42% less than the average rates. The table below lists many types of discounts and which are available from each company.
|Daytime running lights||Yes||No||Yes||No|
|Active duty military||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Student away from home||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Seat belt usage||Yes||No||No||No|
|Get quote online||No||No||No||Yes|
|Get Quotes Go|
Five Steps to Lower the Cost of Car Insurance in Phoenix
Everyone wants to pay less for insurance, and there are actions drivers can take to significantly lower their car insurance bill. These five steps can lower your car insurance rates by 50% or more.
- Buying full coverage increases cost more than anything else, so if your vehicle is getting close to 10 years old, it may be time to consider removing comprehensive and collision insurance entirely. Potential savings: $1,285 a year
- Qualifying for policy discounts is a great way to reduce the cost. Make sure you’re getting every discount you deserve, and take steps like bundling your home and auto policies to earn even more savings. Potential savings: $1,075 a year
- If full coverage is necessary, consider raising your policy deductibles to a higher level. Drivers generally save money in the long term by using higher deductibles, but only do so if you have adequate emergency funds set aside. Potential savings: $776 a year
- Being a safe driver is one of the best ways to prevent high rates. Drivers can go one step farther and take a defensive driving course or even allow your company to track your driving behavior using a telematics device. Potential savings: 30%
- The easiest way to instantly reduce your car insurance rates is to shop around and find a cheaper company. Phoenix drivers have a lot of choices when it comes to car insurance companies, and there is a very good chance you can find a lower rate simply by switching companies. Potential savings: 40% or more
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$122|
|5-yr Claim Free||$105|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$76|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.