Cheapest 2000 Mazda Protege Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Looking for cheaper insurance rates for your Mazda Protege? I can’t think of anyone who enjoys paying for insurance, in particular when they are paying too much. Companies like Allstate, Progressive and GEICO all promote huge savings with catchy ads and it is challenging if not impossible to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
If you are insured now or are looking for a new policy, you can follow these tips to get lower rates while maintaining coverages. Buying car insurance is not that difficult. Drivers just need to learn how to compare rates on the web.
Mazda Protege rates are in the details
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that could result in big savings.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces that factor into premiums.
- The more you drive the more you pay – The more miles you rack up on your Mazda in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. If your policy improperly rates your Protege may be wasting your money. Ask your agent if your auto insurance policy properly reflects how each vehicle is driven.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – Having a bad credit score is a big factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. Therefore, if your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could save money insuring your 2000 Mazda Protege by repairing your credit. Drivers with good credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have poor credit.
- Being married is a good thing – Having a wife or husband actually saves money on your auto insurance policy. Marriage means you’re more mature it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Small claims can cost you – Car insurance companies provide discounts to drivers who are claim-free. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics demonstrate that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Young males tend to get in the most accidents and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Liability coverage is the coverage that protects you in the event that a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides legal defense starting from day one. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
How to Get Auto Insurance
Most major insurance companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm give price estimates directly from their websites. Getting quotes is quite easy as you simply type in your coverage information as detailed in the form. Once entered, the system will obtain your driving record and credit report and returns pricing information based on many factors. Being able to quote online helps simplify price comparisons, but having to visit a lot of sites and type in the same information can be a bit tiresome and repetitive. Unfortunately, it is important to do this if you are searching for better auto insurance pricing.
A quicker way to compare auto insurance pricing is to use a quote form to obtain quotes from a lot of companies. It saves time, requires much less work on your part, and makes online shopping a lot less work. Immediately after submitting the form, your coverage is rated and you are able to buy any of the quotes that you receive.
If you find a better price you can simply submit the application and purchase coverage. The whole process can be completed in less than 10 minutes and could lower your rates considerably.
If you want to find out what other companies charge, simply click here to open in new window and enter your information. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you input the coverage information just like they are on your policy. This way, you will have a rate comparison using the same coverage and limits.
Save $473 a year. For real?
Consumers constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings from the likes of Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. All the companies have a common claim that you’ll save big if you move your coverage to them.
How can each company make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies can use profiling for the right customer that makes them money. For instance, a desirable insured might be profiled as between the ages of 30 and 50, is a homeowner, and chooses high deductibles. A driver who meets those qualifications gets the lowest rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Consumers who do not match this ideal profile must pay a higher premium which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is “people who switch” not “people who quote” save that kind of money. That is how companies can truthfully state the savings.
This illustrates why it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. It is impossible to predict the company that will fit your personal profile best.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you can get discounts to reduce the price significantly. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you get a quote, but a few need to be asked about before you get the savings. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you are throwing money away.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on auto insurance for Protege coverage.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring multiple vehicles on the same auto insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Paperwork-free – A few companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy over the internet.
- College Student – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates for Protege coverage than their less cautious counterparts.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a defensive driving course could save 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it doesn’t quite work that way. But all discounts will cut your premiums.
To see a list of insurers offering auto insurance discounts, click here.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions may help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Am I covered if I break a side mirror?
- Does my 2000 Mazda Protege need full coverage?
- How much liability coverage do I need in my state?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Auto insurance coverage information
Knowing the specifics of car insurance aids in choosing the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverages found on the average car insurance policy.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision) – This coverage will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as hitting a bird, damage from flooding and hail damage. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision – Collision insurance covers damage to your Protege from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers claims like sideswiping another vehicle, scraping a guard rail and rolling your car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. You can also bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Insurance for medical payments – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for expenses for prosthetic devices, dental work, pain medications, hospital visits and funeral costs. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance – This gives you protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Mazda Protege.
Due to the fact that many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Frequently these coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Liability insurance – Liability insurance will cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property in an accident. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 25/50/25 which means a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000. Occasionally you may see one number which is a combined single limit that pays claims from the same limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers claims like medical expenses, pain and suffering, medical services, bail bonds and attorney fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible.
Online plus local equals savings
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can save on 2000 Mazda Protege insurance. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the best prices are with a small mutual company. Some small companies often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
When shopping online for insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate.
More tips and info about insurance coverage can be read in the articles below:
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Determing Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance
- Kia Optima Insurance
- Chevrolet Traverse Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Chevrolet Malibu Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area