2005 Chevrolet Colorado Insurance Cost
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 11, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Searching for the cheapest car insurance rates for your Chevrolet Colorado? Are you sick of not getting the most out of your auto insurance coverage? You are in the same boat as millions of other consumers. Drivers have multiple insurers to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, so many choices can make it hard to find the best rates.
Finding affordable coverage is not as difficult as it may seem. If you have a current car insurance policy or need a new policy, you can use this information to find better prices while maximizing coverage. Vehicle owners just need to understand the most efficient way to compare company rates on the web.
Discounts to Lower 2005 Chevy Colorado Insurance Rates
Companies do not list all available discounts very well, so we’ll break down some of the more common as well as the least known insurance coverage savings. If you don’t get every credit possible, you are most likely not meeting your full savings potential.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- One Accident Forgiven – Certain companies will allow you to have one accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims for a set time period.
- Safe Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less on Colorado coverage than drivers with accident claims.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake-equipped vehicles are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having multiple cars or trucks on the same insurance coverage policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, it is necessary to understand that companies just wouldn’t make money that way, unfortunately.
A partial list of companies that may have some of the above discounts include:
- State Farm
- American Family
- 21st Century
Before buying, ask each insurance company how you can save money. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in your state.
Elements That Influence Chevy Colorado Insurance Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that go into determining insurance rates. Knowing what determines base rates enables informed choices that could result in better insurance rates.
- Do men or women drive better? – Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Women and men tend to get into accidents in similar numbers, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also have more aggressive citations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Pay less if you’re married – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your insurance policy. Marriage means you’re more responsible it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Companies give discounts to people who file claims infrequently. If you file claims often, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Car insurance is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Never go without insurance – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a fast way to bump up your insurance costs. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Cars with high safety ratings get lower rates. Safer cars protect occupants better and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you. If your Chevy Colorado earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov it may be receiving lower rates. The make and model of your vehicle will be a factor as well. Since the price of a 2005 Chevy Colorado will be different than the price of a newer Chevrolet vehicle, it is safe to assume that the rates for the older model will be lower.
- Your insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for insurance? Occupations such as judges, executives and financial analysts tend to pay higher average rates attributed to high stress levels and long work hours. Conversely, jobs such as pilots, engineers and performers have the lowest average rates on Colorado coverage.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – Having a bad credit history is a important factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit score is not that good, you could be paying less to insure your 2005 Chevrolet Colorado by repairing your credit. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
- Your location affects your rates – Being located in a small town is a positive aspect when talking about insurance. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents. Drivers who live in large cities have more traffic problems and much longer commute distances. More time commuting means more change of being in an accident.
Tailor Your Coverage to You
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions may help you determine whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and can help protect your family and 2005 Chevy Colorado.
Specifics of Your Auto Insurance Policy
Understanding the coverages of your policy aids in choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Below you’ll find the normal coverages found on the average auto insurance policy.
This coverage provides protection from damage or injury you incur to other people or property. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 100/300/100 that translate to a limit of $100,000 per injured person, a limit of $300,000 in injury protection per accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like emergency aid, medical expenses, bail bonds and funeral expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but buy as large an amount as possible.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Chevy Colorado.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
This coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like falling objects, hail damage, theft and fire damage. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things like crashing into a building, driving through your garage door, rolling your car and damaging your car on a curb. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Med Pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal injury protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses such as X-ray expenses, surgery, hospital visits and rehabilitation expenses. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers both the driver and occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed full coverage and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford.
Cheap 2005 Chevy Colorado insurance can be sourced both online and also from your neighborhood agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers may not provide online quoting and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Even more information can be found by following these links:
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Volkswagen Jetta Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Ford Explorer Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Chevrolet Impala Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area