Cheapest 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Aug 23, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Comparing auto insurance rates online can be a challenge if you’re new to online rate quotes. But don’t be discouraged because using the internet to shop for auto insurance is actually quite easy.
It is always a good idea to take a look at other company’s rates yearly due to the fact that insurance rates are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you think you had the best deal for Cobalt insurance on your last policy other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn one of the quickest ways to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
Pay less by taking advantage of discounts
Car insurance companies do not advertise every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched some of the more common and also the lesser-known ways to save on insurance.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Save over 55 – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for a small decrease in premiums for Cobalt insurance.
- Memberships – Belonging to a civic or occupational organization is a good way to get lower rates when buying insurance for Cobalt insurance.
- Accident Waiver – A few companies allow you one accident without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down on your Chevy could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts when compared to bad drivers.
- Good Student Discount – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way.
Insurance companies that may offer these discounts include:
Double check with each insurance company how you can save money. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in your area.
Factors influencing Chevy Cobalt insurance rates
It’s important that you understand the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Better credit scores mean better rates – Your credit score is a big factor in determining your rates. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure than those with lower credit scores. Therefore, if your credit history is low, you could save money insuring your 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt by improving your rating.
- Liability insurance protects assets – The liability section of your policy is the protection when you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. Liability provides for a legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Do you have a high stress job? – Jobs such as judges, business owners and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates attributed to stressful work requirements and lengthy work days. Other jobs such as actors, historians and the unemployed have the lowest average rates for Cobalt insurance.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are a ton of add-on coverages that can waste your money if you aren’t careful. Coverages like roadside assistance, accident forgiveness and term life insurance may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment at first, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
- You might want pay the small claims yourself – Companies generally give better rates to policyholders who are claim-free. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
Your coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s needs are different.
For instance, these questions may help highlight if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- How can I find cheaper teen driver insurance?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Can switching companies really save?
Companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO continually stream ads on television and other media. All the ads make an identical promise of big savings after switching to them. How do they all claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that makes them money. An example of a driver they prefer might be between 25 and 40, has no prior claims, and has a short commute. Any driver that hits that “sweet spot” gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save when they switch companies.
Potential insureds who don’t measure up to the requirements will have to pay higher premiums and this can result in the customer not buying. The ad wording is “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. That’s why insurance companies can confidently make those claims. Because of the profiling, you need to get a wide range of price quotes. It is impossible to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
Educate yourself about car insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of a car insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive car insurance – This coverage pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, hail damage, theft, rock chips in glass and hitting a deer. The highest amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision coverage – Collision insurance pays for damage to your Cobalt resulting from colliding with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things like colliding with a tree, sustaining damage from a pot hole, sideswiping another vehicle, driving through your garage door and crashing into a building. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. It’s also possible to bump up the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Chevy Cobalt.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.
Coverage for liability – Liability insurance provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see limits of 25/50/25 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability coverage protects against things such as pain and suffering, attorney fees, loss of income, medical expenses and court costs. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but consider buying as much as you can afford.
Coverage for medical expenses – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for bills such as chiropractic care, nursing services, doctor visits, surgery and prosthetic devices. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers both the driver and occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Make a quick buck
We covered quite a bit of information on how to lower your 2009 Chevy Cobalt insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may even find the most savings is with a small mutual company.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, denial of a claim, policy cancellation or even lack of trust in their agent. No matter why you want to switch, switching insurance coverage companies is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, an insured dropped liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
For more information, take a look at the following helpful articles:
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Cheaper Named Operator Policy Car Insurance Rates in 2023
- Will Geico Insure a Car Not in My Name? 2023
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do Trucks Cost More to Insure? 2023
- How Long Does a Dui Stay on Your Record? 2023
- Does the Porsche Club of America Offer Car Insurance? 2023
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- GMC Sierra Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Chevrolet Equinox Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Chevrolet Cruze Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Ford Fusion Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area