2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD Insurance Rates – 5 Tricks for Cheapest Quotes
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Dec 8, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Trying to find lower insurance coverage rates for your GMC Sierra 3500HD? Searching for low-cost insurance for a GMC Sierra 3500HD could be a painful process, but you can use a few tricks to save time. There is a better way to buy insurance coverage so we’re going to tell you the best way to compare rates for a new or used GMC and obtain the best price possible from local insurance agents and online providers.
Consumers should take time to quote other rates once or twice a year since rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest premium rates for SierraHD coverage a couple years back the chances are good that you can find a lower price today. Block out anything you think you know about insurance coverage because you’re about to find out the proper way to get good coverage at a lower rate.
Find hidden discounts on insurance
Insurance is expensive, but you might be missing out on some discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some discounts will apply when you quote, but a few must be specially asked for before you will receive the discount.
- 55 and Retired – Mature drivers can possibly qualify for a small decrease in premiums for SierraHD coverage.
- Driving Data Discount – Policyholders that allow their company to study driving manner by installing a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could possibly reduce rates if they show good driving skills.
- Claim-Free Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- E-sign – Some of the larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application on the internet.
- Good Students Pay Less – Being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
One last thing about discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
A list of companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are detailed below.
- Progressive has discounts for online signing, good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- SAFECO includes discounts for multi-car, teen safety rewards, anti-theft, safe driver, bundle discounts, and homeowner.
- American Family offers premium reductions for mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, early bird, multi-vehicle, good student, and Steer into Savings.
- MetLife may offer discounts for defensive driver, accident-free, good driver, good student, and multi-policy.
- GEICO has savings for federal employee, emergency military deployment, multi-policy, air bags, anti-theft, five-year accident-free, and anti-lock brakes.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include anti-theft, good student, defensive driver, driver training, vehicle fuel type, bundle, and air bag.
Before you buy a policy, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. All car insurance discounts might not apply in every state.
Compare insurance rates
Cutting your insurance rates is not a difficult process. Consumers just need to take the time comparing rate quotes to see which company has affordable insurance quotes. You can get a good selection of rate quotes by following the guidelines below.
- The easiest and least time consuming way to get quotes for comparison is a comparison rater form. This easy form prevents you from having to do separate forms to each individual insurance company. Completing one form will return price quotes instantly. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A more difficult way to find more affordable insurance consists of going to each individual company website and repeat the quote process again and again. For sake of this example, let’s assume you are doing a rate comparison from Allstate, 21st Century and State Farm. To do that, you would have to go to each individual site and punch in your information repeatedly, which is why the first method is quicker.
Take whichever approach you prefer, but make sure you compare identical coverage limits and deductibles for every quote you compare. If the quotes have different liability limits it’s impossible to determine which company has the best rates.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Is my 2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD covered for smoke damage?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- If my 2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
If you can’t answer these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and enter your zip code. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Brand name doesn’t guarantee savings
Consumers constantly see and hear ads that claim the lowest premium rates by companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. All the ads advertise the message that drivers will save a bundle just by switching your car insurance coverage to their company.
That’s great but how can every company make the same claim? It’s all in how they say it.
Companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that will not have excessive claims. One example of a profitable customer may need to be between the ages of 30 and 45, has a clean driving record, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. A customer that matches those criteria will get the preferred auto insurance rates and will most likely save a lot if they switch.
Potential insureds who don’t qualify for the ideal profile may receive a more expensive rate which usually ends up with the customer not purchasing. The wording the ads use say “customers who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” can save as much as they claim. That is how insurance companies can advertise the way they do. Because of these techniques, it’s extremely important to do a rate comparison at every renewal. You cannot predict the company that will be your best fit.
Car insurance coverages explained
Having a good grasp of car insurance can help you determine the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Liability coverage will cover damage or injury you incur to other people or property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 25/50/25 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability insurance covers claims like structural damage, pain and suffering, bail bonds, repair costs for stationary objects and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Auto collision coverage
Collision insurance covers damage to your Sierra 3500HD caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against claims like scraping a guard rail, backing into a parked car and driving through your garage door. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as vandalism, rock chips in glass and hitting a deer. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for bills such as surgery, funeral costs, rehabilitation expenses and X-ray expenses. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers both the driver and occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and damage to your 2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.
Spend less. Save more.
There are still a few companies who may not have online rate quotes and these regional carriers provide coverage only through local independent agencies. The cheapest 2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance can be bought both online and from local agencies, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at the best price.
In this article, we covered a lot of techniques to shop for 2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of getting cheap insurance. Consumers may even find the best rates are with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Even more information can be found in the articles below:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Hyundai Santa Fe Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area