1991 Dodge Dakota Insurance Rates – 10 Policy Discounts
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Aug 23, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Car insurance shopping is not something car owners enjoy, but unfortunately it’s required to legally drive.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there could be available discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you get a quote, but less common discounts must be specially asked for before being credited.
- Good Student Discount – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
- Senior Citizens – Older drivers may be able to get a small decrease in premiums for Dakota coverage.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Accident Waiver – A handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles on your Dodge can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Being a homeowner can help you save on car insurance because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a civic or occupational organization could trigger savings on your policy for Dakota coverage.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will cut the amount you have to pay.
Car insurance companies that may offer some of the above discounts include:
It’s a good idea to ask all companies you are considering what discounts are available to you. Discounts may not be available in your area.
Insurance myths debunked
Insurance companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive constantly bombard you with television and radio advertisements. They all seem to say the same thing that you can save if you switch your coverage to them. How does each company make the same claim?
All companies have a preferred profile for the right customer they prefer to insure. For example, a driver they prefer might be between 25 and 40, a clean driving record, and drives newer vehicles. Any new insured who fits that profile will qualify for the lowest rates and most likely will save when switching.
Potential customers who fall outside these standards will be charged higher premiums which usually ends up with business not being written. The ads say “customers that switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. This is how companies can truthfully make those claims.
That is why you absolutely need to get a wide range of price quotes. It’s impossible to know which company will give you the biggest savings on Dodge Dakota insurance.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When buying proper insurance coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions might help in determining if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Insurance policy coverages for a 1991 Dodge Dakota
Knowing the specifics of your policy helps when choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Collision – Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Dakota caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against claims like hitting a parking meter, rolling your car and colliding with another moving vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your 1991 Dodge Dakota.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Coverage for liability – This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to people or other property by causing an accident. It protects you against claims from other people, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have values of 25/50/25 that means you have $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for things like court costs, bail bonds, loss of income, funeral expenses and emergency aid. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford.
Comprehensive coverage – This pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like falling objects, hitting a bird and rock chips in glass. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for expenses such as rehabilitation expenses, X-ray expenses, nursing services and pain medications. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Shop. Compare. Save.
We just covered some good ideas how you can reduce 1991 Dodge Dakota insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from an unexpected company.
Drivers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, questionable increases in premium, unfair underwriting practices or even lack of trust in their agent. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching insurance coverage companies is actually quite simple.
Cost effective insurance can be sourced on the web as well as from independent agents, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who don’t offer online quoting and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
To learn more, link through to these articles:
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Insitute)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Hyundai Tucson Insurance
- Toyota Highlander Insurance
- Hyundai Santa Fe Insurance
- Chevrolet Malibu Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area