Ford Ford Explorer Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Apr 11, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Searching for lower auto insurance rates for your Ford Explorer? Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy high-priced auto insurance? Believe me when I say there are many people just like you who feel imprisoned by their auto insurance policy. Many auto insurance companies compete to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates to find the absolute lowest rate.
If you have a policy now or need a new policy, you can use these tips to get lower rates and still get good coverage. Choosing the best insurance company for you is easy if you know what you’re doing. Vehicle owners just need to learn the proper methods to compare prices on the web.
Car Insurance Comparisons
There are various methods you can shop for 2002 Ford Explorer car insurance, but some are more efficient than others. You could spend the better part of a day talking about coverages with insurance agencies in your area, or you can utilize the internet to get rate comparisons in just a few minutes.
All the larger companies participate in a marketplace where prospective buyers complete one form, and at least one company returns a competitive quote for coverage. This prevents consumers from making repetitive form submissions for each company you want a rate for.
To compare 2002 Ford Explorer rates now, click here.
The one disadvantage to using this type of form is that consumers can’t choose which providers to get quotes from. If you wish to select specific insurance companies to compare, we have assembled a list of car insurance companies in your area. Click here for a list of insurance companies.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just ensure you’re using the same coverages and limits with each company. If you have different values for each quote, it will be impossible to determine the lowest rate for your Ford Explorer.
These Discounts Can Lower Ford Explorer Quotes
Auto insurance companies don’t list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the more common and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and earn discounts of up to 10%.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company, you could get a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- E-sign – A few companies may give you up to $50 just for signing your application on their website.
- Accident-Free – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts compared to more careless drivers.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory airbags can save more than 20%.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear for a particular time before the accident.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Companies wouldn’t make money that way because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy.
For a list of providers with discount insurance coverage rates, click here.
Ford Explorer Rates Are Influenced by Many Factors
You must understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. A good understanding of what controls your pay rates enables informed choices that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
Below are a few of the “ingredients” car insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- A clean driving record saves money – Even one citation can increase rates twenty percent or more. Good drivers get better rates than their less careful counterparts. If you have dangerous violations like DWI, reckless driving, or hit and run convictions, you may need to submit an SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV to prevent a license revocation.
- Add-on coverages can add up – There are many extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying when buying car insurance. Things like vanishing deductibles, accidental death, and motor club memberships may be wasting your money. When talking to your agent, these may sound like a good investment, but if you don’t need them, remove them from your policy.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Occupations like lawyers, business owners, and financial analysts tend to have higher average rates because of stressful work requirements and long work hours. Conversely, jobs such as pilots, engineers, and the unemployed receive lower rates on Explorer coverage.
- Older drivers pay less – Older drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and get fewer tickets. Young drivers are less accountable behind the wheel; therefore, car insurance rates are higher.
- Equipment add-ons that lower car insurance rates – Owning a car with anti-theft technology or an alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems, or GM’s OnStar system can help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Most companies will give a discount to customers who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you’re getting this discount, you may still want to shop around to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still be able to find a better deal by insuring with multiple companies.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – The more miles you rack up on your Ford in a year, the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage based on its usage. Cars left parked in the garage receive lower rates than those used for work or business. Ensure your car insurance policy is rated on how each vehicle is driven because improper ratings can cost you money. Incorrect usage on your Explorer can cost quite a bit.
- Safer occupants lower premiums – Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. The safest vehicles protect occupants better, and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you at lower rates. If your Ford Explorer is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org, it may be receiving lower rates.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Tailor Your Coverage to You
There isn’t a cookie-cutter policy when it comes to buying the right insurance coverage. Every insured’s situation is different, and a cookie-cutter policy won’t apply. For instance, these questions might help determine if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my 2002 Ford Explorer is totaled?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of insurance coverage companies. It is quick, free, and can help protect your family.
Car Insurance Specifics
A good grasp of a car insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Car insurance terms can be impossible to understand, and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverage types available from car insurance companies.
Auto liability insurance
Liability coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people in an accident. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, injury per accident, and property damage. Your policy might show policy limits of 25/50/25, which stand for a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against pain and suffering, loss of income, attorney fees, and medical expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy higher limits.
Insurance for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for immediate expenses like hospital visits, X-ray expenses, and EMT expenses. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and cover if you are hit a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply,, and insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for rock chips in glass, a broken windshield, falling objects, hail damage, and damage from getting keyed. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so consider dropping full coverage if it’s not worth much more than your deductible.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they are underinsured or have no liability coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and your vehicle’s damage.
Since many drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
This coverage covers damage to your Explorer caused by a collision with an object or car. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage can pay for things like sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a ditch, colliding with another moving vehicle, and driving through your garage door. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to increase the deductible to bring the cost down.
Affordable Ford Explorer Quotes
Low-cost 2002 Ford Explorer insurance can be sourced on the web and with local insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not offer online price quotes, and most of the time, these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
We’ve covered many ideas to get a better insurance price. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the more likely you will get a better rate. You may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from an unexpected company. These companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s bad to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that the savings were not a smart move. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
Frequently Asked Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Ford Edge Insurance
- Ford Explorer Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Toyota Tacoma Insurance
- Toyota Sienna Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area