Cheapest 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Jun 2, 2023
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Looking for better insurance coverage rates for your Mitsubishi Lancer? Finding better insurance prices for your Mitsubishi Lancer can turn out to be an all-consuming task, but you can follow our insurance coverage buying tips to make it easier.
There is a right way and a wrong way to shop for insurance coverage and we’ll show you the best way to get price quotes for your Mitsubishi and find the lowest price.
Smart consumers take time to compare rates once or twice a year since insurance rates trend upward over time. Just because you had the lowest rates on Lancer coverage a few years ago you can probably find a better price now. There is too much inaccurate information about insurance coverage online, so we’re going to give you some of the best ways to find affordable insurance coverage.
Discounts mean cheaper Mitsubishi Lancer insurance rates
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you may find discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about prior to getting the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- E-sign – Certain companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy online.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a driver safety course could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down on your Mitsubishi could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Good Students Pay Less – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less on Lancer coverage than their less cautious counterparts.
Consumers should know that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your premiums.
To see a list of insurers offering insurance discounts, follow this link.
Finding Car Insurance Deals
Reducing your 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer insurance rates can be surprisingly simple. The only thing you need to do is take time comparing rate quotes online with multiple companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The best way consumers can analyze rates is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This easy form keeps you from doing boring form submissions for every car insurance company. Filling out one form compares rates direct from many companies. This is by far the quickest method.
- A more time consuming way to compare prices requires a visit to the website for each individual company and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, let’s assume you want to compare rates from Farmers, Esurance and GEICO. To find out each rate you need to spend time on each company’s site and enter your policy data, which is why most consumers use the first method. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in your area, click here.
- The least efficient way to compare rates is driving to insurance agents’ offices. The ability to buy insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you want the professional guidance that only a license agent can provide. It is possible to compare online quotes but buy from a local insurance agent and we’ll cover that in a bit.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just ensure you are comparing apples-to-apples coverages and limits for every quote you compare. If your comparisons have unequal deductibles or liability limits it’s not possible to determine which rate is truly the best.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Mitsubishi Lancer rate determination is complex
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. Knowing what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
- The more you drive the more you pay – Driving more miles every year the higher your rates will be. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Having the wrong rating on your Lancer may be costing you. Make sure your auto insurance coverage is showing the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- An active claims history can cost you – If you file claims often, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance companies award better rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is intended for larger claims.
- Tickets mean higher rates – Just one citation can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have flagrant citations like DUI or reckless driving may need to submit a SR-22 form with the DMV in their state in order to keep their license.
- Your location is important – Being located in a rural area is a positive aspect when buying auto insurance. Fewer people means reduced accidents and a lower car theft rate. Drivers who live in large cities tend to have more traffic problems and longer commutes to work. Longer commute distances can result in more accidents.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – The liability section of your policy provides coverage when a court rules you are at fault for damages from an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Lower rates come with age – More mature drivers tend to be more responsible, file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel. Youthful drivers are known to be careless and easily distracted when driving therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Your spouse saves you money – Getting married actually saves money when buying auto insurance. It translates into being more mature than a single person and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
Tailor your coverage to you
When buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions can help discover if your situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in my state?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I have newly-aquired coverage?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- What is PIP insurance?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Insurance coverage ads bend the truth
Consumers can’t get away from ads for the lowest price auto insurance by Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. All the companies have a common claim that you’ll save big if you change to their company.
How do they all claim to save you money?
All companies can use profiling for the right customer they prefer to insure. A good example of a driver they prefer might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no driving citations, and has great credit. Any driver who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably cut their rates substantially.
Potential customers who don’t measure up to these standards will have to pay a more expensive rate which leads to business going elsewhere. The ad wording is “people who switch” not “people who quote” save money. This is how insurance companies can advertise the way they do.
Because of the profiling, drivers must get quotes from several different companies. It’s impossible to know which company will fit your personal profile best.
Having a good grasp of insurance can help you determine appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Auto collision coverage
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Lancer resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims like colliding with another moving vehicle, damaging your car on a curb, sustaining damage from a pot hole, driving through your garage door and sideswiping another vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Insurance for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for immediate expenses for dental work, EMT expenses, X-ray expenses and ambulance fees. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Mitsubishi Lancer.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits, their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Usually these limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This coverage will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like hail damage, a broken windshield, theft, fire damage and vandalism. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
This coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people that is your fault. It protects you from legal claims by others. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 100/300/100 which means $100,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $300,000 in injury protection per accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers things such as pain and suffering, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, funeral expenses, bail bonds and attorney fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but you should buy as much as you can afford.
Online plus local equals savings
You just learned many ways to lower your 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the most savings is with a small mutual company.
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, high rates after DUI convictions, questionable increases in premium or unfair underwriting practices. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, someone sacrificed full coverage only to discover later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional learning opportunities
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Determing Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I compare quotes from different insurance companies?
o compare quotes from multiple companies, simply enter your ZIP code on this page and use our free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the better chances you have of finding affordable coverage.
How often should I compare insurance rates?
It is recommended to compare rates once or twice a year since insurance rates tend to increase over time. Just because you had the lowest rates a few years ago does not mean you have the best price now.
Are there any discounts available for my Mitsubishi Lancer?
Yes, there are various discounts available that can help reduce your insurance rates. Some discounts may apply automatically, while others may require you to inquire about them. It’s important to ask your insurance provider about all the potential discounts you may qualify for.
What factors determine my Mitsubishi Lancer insurance rates?
Several factors influence your auto insurance rates, including your driving record, age, location, type of vehicle, coverage options, and more. Understanding these rating factors can help you make informed decisions when selecting coverage.
Do I need to tailor my insurance coverage?
Yes, there is no one-size-fits-all insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is different, and it’s important to assess your specific needs and risks. If you’re unsure about the coverage you need, it may be helpful to consult with a licensed insurance agent.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Toyota Prius Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Nissan Altima Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Subaru Outback Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Ford Escape Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area