2008 Toyota Prius Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 29, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2008 Toyota Prius are $968 a year including full coverage. Comprehensive costs around $182, collision insurance costs $244, and liability coverage costs $406. Buying a liability-only policy costs as little as $450 a year, and high-risk insurance costs around $2,076. Teenage drivers receive the highest rates at up to $3,780 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $968
Rate estimates for 2008 Toyota Prius Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2008 Toyota Prius models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a middle-aged driver, prices range range from as low as $450 for only liability insurance to the much higher price of $2,076 for a high risk driver.
These differences highlight why everyone should compare rates for a specific zip code and risk profile, rather than using average rates.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2008 Toyota Prius Insurance
Are you sick and tired of being strong-armed to insure your Toyota every month? You’re in the same situation as millions of other consumers.
Online insurance companies like State Farm and GEICO persitently shower you with TV and radio ads and it is challenging if not impossible to see past the corporate glitz and find the best price available.
Factors influencing Toyota Prius insurance rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that help determine insurance coverage rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
The following are a partial list of the pieces that factor into your rates.
- Men fork out a little more – The statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men have accidents in similar numbers, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a lot of additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you aren’t careful. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, accidental death and term life insurance may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good when talking to your agent, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Tickets mean higher rates – Drivers who don’t get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Only having one citation can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with flagrant tickets like DUI or reckless driving are required to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
- Increase deductibles and save – The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims would be colliding with a building, collision with an animal, or theft. The more expense you have to pay, the lower your rates will be for Prius coverage.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Toyota Prius earned at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Driving without insurance is illegal and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage lapse. And not only will your rates increase, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance may earn you a steep fine or even jail time.You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with your state DMV.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can help prevent auto theft.
- Bundling policies can get discounts – Many insurance companies give discounts to customers who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, you still need to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
Automobile Insurance Quotes
Most companies provide pricing on their websites. Getting online rates is pretty painless as you simply enter your coverage information as requested by the quote form. Once you submit the form, their rating system collects your driving record and credit report and returns a price based on many factors. Online price quotes makes comparing rates easy, but the time required to go to many different websites and enter the same data into a form is monotonous and tiresome. Unfortunately, it is important to perform this step in order to get the best price possible.
A more efficient way to find lower prices uses one form that analyzes rates from several companies at one time. It saves time, reduces the work, and makes online price comparison much easier to do. After sending the form, it gets priced and you can choose any one of the resulting price quotes.
If you find a better price you can simply submit the application and buy the new coverage. It takes just a few minutes to complete and you’ll know if lower rates are available.
To save time and compare pricing, click here to open in a new tab and enter your vehicle and coverage information. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you enter the coverage information identical to your current policy. This ensures you will receive a price comparison for similar insurance coverage.
Save on 2008 Toyota Prius insurance
Car insurance is not cheap, but companies offer discounts to reduce the price significantly. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time you complete a quote, but a few must be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- Student in College – Any of your kids living away from home attending college and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a break if you buy life insurance.
- Paperwork-free – Certain companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents may save up to 50% more for Prius coverage than their less cautious counterparts.
Keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will cut the amount you have to pay.
For a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts, click here.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Tailor your coverage to you
When it comes to buying the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions might point out whether you may require specific advice.
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in my state?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required minimum liability coverage?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Auto insurance 101
Knowing the specifics of auto insurance helps when choosing appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Shown next are typical coverages found on the average auto insurance policy.
Collision – This pays for damage to your Prius from colliding with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things such as driving through your garage door, colliding with another moving vehicle and sideswiping another vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also raise the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive protection – This covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as rock chips in glass, damage from getting keyed, damage from a tornado or hurricane, hail damage and hitting a deer. The highest amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Toyota Prius.
Due to the fact that many drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Liability insurance – Liability insurance will cover damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have limits of 50/100/50 which stand for $50,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $50,000. Another option is one number which is a combined single limit which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for things like pain and suffering, medical expenses, repair costs for stationary objects and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford.
Medical expense coverage – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for bills for things like doctor visits, rehabilitation expenses, funeral costs and pain medications. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Buy online or local, you save
When trying to cut insurance costs, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
We just presented a lot of tips how to reduce 2008 Toyota Prius insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the biggest savings come from a small local company. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
Other learning opportunities
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Insitute)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,527|
|Los Angeles, CA||$1,653|
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$62|
|5-yr Claim Free||$61|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$37|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.