Cheapest 2017 BMW 3 Series Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Jun 12, 2023
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Using the web to shop for insurance quotes online is challenging if you are like the majority of consumers and have never used rate quotes online. Don’t let the process intimidate you because finding better quotes is actually fairly simple.
Compare car insurance price quotes online
To find cheap rates, there are a couple of ways to compare prices from many available car insurance companies in your state. The best way to find cheaper 2017 BMW 3 Series rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- Experts agree that the best way consumers can make multiple comparisons would be an industry-wide quote request form like this one (opens in new window). This form keeps you from doing separate quote forms for every prospective company. Filling out one form compares rates from car insurance companies with the best prices. This is by far the quickest method.
- A different way to find more affordable insurance requires a trip to the website for every company you want to comare to complete their respective quote request forms. For example, let’s assume you want to get rates from Auto-Owners, Farmers and GEICO. To get each rate you have to go to each individual site and punch in your information repeatedly, which explains why we recommend starting with the first method.For a list of companies in your area, click here.
- If you have time to kill, the last method to comparison shop rate quotes to all the different insurance agencies. The ability to get quotes online eliminates the middleman unless you prefer the professional abilities that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. Some companies do allow you to get prices online and get advice from an agent in your area.
Whichever way you choose to compare rates, ensure you’re using identical coverages for each price quote. If you use mixed coverages you will not be able to determine which company has the best rates. Just slight variations in limits may cause a big price difference. Keep in mind that comparing a wide range of rates helps increase your odds of locating more affordable rates. Some smaller insurers to not give online quotes, so it’s important to also get price quotes from them as well.
Lower your insurance rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that help calculate your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find cheaper rates. Many things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but others are not as apparent such as your credit history or your commute time.
- Job reflects on rates – Occupations such as lawyersairline pilots and emergency personnel tend to have higher premiums than the average policyholder attributed to job stress and long work hours. On the flip side, jobs like actors, historians and retirees receive lower rates for 3 Series coverage.
- Raising physical damage deductibles lowers costs – Physical damage protection, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your BMW from damage. Examples of some claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, vandalism, and damage caused by flying debris. The deductibles you choose are how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. The more of the claim the insured is willing to pay, the lower your rates will be for 3 Series coverage.
- Insurance claims cost money – Car insurance companies provide the lowest premiums to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Single drivers take more risk – Being married actually saves money on your insurance coverage bill. Marriage is viewed as being more stable financially and insurance companies reward insureds because drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
These discounts can lower your insurance coverage quotes
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list all disounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts you could be receiving when you buy insurance online. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Safe drivers can save up to 40% or more on their insurance quote for 3 Series coverage compared to accident prone drivers.
- Resident Student – Youth drivers who live away from home at college without a vehicle on campus could get you a discount.
- Sign Online – A few companies will give a small break for buying your policy on their website.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Accident Waiver – but a handful of insurance companies will let one accident slide before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear before the accident.
One thing to note about discounts is that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won’t be that lucky. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce your policy premiums.
Popular insurance coverage companies and their possible discounts are shown below.
- GEICO includes discounts for driver training, defensive driver, federal employee, daytime running lights, and air bags.
- Farmers may include discounts for multi-policy, accident-free, defensive driver, good driver, and good student.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online signing, homeowner, multi-policy, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers may offer discounts for good student, student away at school, hybrid/electric vehicle, save driver, driver training, and home ownership.
- SAFECO offers discounts including anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, homeowner, multi-car, bundle discounts, and teen safe driver.
- AAA offers premium reductions for good driver, multi-car, multi-policy, education and occupation, and anti-theft.
When getting a coverage quote, ask all the companies which credits you are entitled to. A few discounts may not apply to policies in your area.
Different people need different car insurance coverages
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
These are some specific questions might help in determining whether you will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Do I pay less for low miles?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Car insurance coverages for a 2017 BMW 3 Series
Learning about specific coverages of insurance aids in choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as damage from flooding, damage from getting keyed and vandalism. The most your insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision coverage protection
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your 3 Series resulting from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things like damaging your car on a curb, hitting a parking meter and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your 2017 BMW 3 Series.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Liability insurance provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have values of 50/100/50 that means you have $50,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $100,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability can pay for things like court costs, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and legal defense fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford.
Insurance for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for short-term medical expenses for doctor visits, surgery, prosthetic devices and nursing services. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Compare but don’t skimp
Insureds leave their current company for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices and even denial of a claim. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new company is less work than it seems.
When you buy insurance online, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, drivers have reduced full coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your objective should be to find the BEST coverage at the best cost while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we covered many tips how you can lower your 2017 BMW 3 Series insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting cheaper insurance. Drivers may discover the most savings is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I compare car insurance price quotes online?
To compare car insurance price quotes online, you have a couple of options:
- Use a free quote tool: Enter your ZIP code on a website that provides a quote tool to compare rates from different companies.
- Visit company websites: Visit the websites of car insurance companies and request quotes directly from each one.
How should I compare car insurance rates for my 2017 BMW 3 Series?
When comparing car insurance rates for your 2017 BMW 3 Series, follow these steps:
- Make sure you use identical coverages for each price quote to accurately compare rates.
- Consider obtaining quotes from a range of companies, including both large insurers and smaller ones.
- Keep in mind that some smaller insurers may not provide online quotes, so reach out to them directly.
Are there any discounts available that can help lower insurance rates?
Car insurance companies offer various discounts that can help lower your insurance rates. Some common discounts include:
- Multi-policy discount: For bundling your auto insurance with other policies.
- Safe driver discount: For maintaining a clean driving record.
- Good student discount: For students who achieve good grades.
- Anti-theft device discount: For having security features installed in your vehicle.
- Low mileage discount: For driving fewer miles annually. When obtaining quotes, be sure to ask about available discounts to maximize your savings.
What coverages do I need for my 2017 BMW 3 Series?
The specific coverages you need for your 2017 BMW 3 Series depend on your individual circumstances. However, some common coverages include:
- Liability coverage: This is typically required by law and protects you financially if you cause an accident and injure others or damage their property.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle caused by events other than a collision, such as theft, vandalism, or natural disasters.
- Collision coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Protects you if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who has insufficient insurance coverage or no insurance at all.
What factors affect the cost of insurance for a 2017 BMW 3 Series?
Several factors can influence the cost of insurance for a 2017 BMW 3 Series. These factors may include:
- Your driving record: A clean driving record can result in lower premiums.
- Your location: Insurance rates can vary based on where you live due to factors such as population density and crime rates.
- Your age and gender: Younger drivers and male drivers typically have higher insurance rates.
- Your credit history: Some insurance companies consider credit history when determining rates.
- The coverage options you choose: Different coverage levels and deductibles can affect the cost.
- The value of your vehicle: More expensive vehicles can have higher insurance premiums.
- Previous claims history: A history of frequent claims can result in higher premiums.
Should I consult an insurance agent for help with my car insurance?
Consulting an insurance agent can be beneficial, especially if you have specific questions or need personalized advice. An agent can help you understand your coverage options, recommend suitable coverage limits, and assist you in finding the best insurance policy for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Ford Explorer Insurance
- Ford Edge Insurance
- Toyota Highlander Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Kia Forte Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area