2019 BMW i8 Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 1, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Saving money on auto insurance is challenging for drivers new to quoting and comparing rates online. With so many agents and online companies available, it can be a big hassle to find better rates.
You should make it a habit to get comparison quotes once or twice a year because auto insurance rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Just because you found the lowest rate for i8 coverage two years ago a different company probably has better prices today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate one of the best ways to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money.
If you have car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce your rates substantially using these tips. This article will instruct you on how to get online quotes and some money-saving tips. But car owners do need to understand how big insurance companies market on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
Reduce insurance rates with these tips
When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand some of the factors that aid in calculating your policy premiums. When you understand what determines premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs. Many different elements are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious such as your driving record, but other criteria are more transparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
Shown below are a few of the things that factor into prices.
- Avoid unnecessary extra policy coverages – There are quite a few extra coverages that you can buy if you aren’t diligent. Insurance for personal injury protection, accident forgiveness, and extra life insurance coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas when talking to your agent, but if you have no use for them consider taking them off your policy.
- Cars with good safety ratings are cheaper to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety reduce the chance of injuries and reduced instances of injuries means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates.
- Marriage can save you money – Your spouse helps lower the price when shopping for auto insurance. Marriage generally demonstrates drivers are more stable financially and it’s statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- More traffic equals higher premiums – Living in less populated areas of the country has definite advantages when talking about auto insurance. Fewer people corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to lower liability claims Drivers in populated areas have to deal with more traffic problems and more time behind the wheel. More time behind the wheel means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- No auto insurance gaps is important – Driving with no insurance is against the law and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance expire. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you fines and jail time. You could then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with your state motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Find discounts on insurance coverage
Some providers don’t always publicize all possible discounts very clearly, so below is a list both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to lower your premiums when you buy auto insurance online.
- Defensive Driver – Participating in a course that instructs on driving safety could earn you a small percentage discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- One Accident Forgiven – but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Paperwork-free – Certain companies give back up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Driver Education Discount – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Employee of Federal Government – Federal government employees could provide a small rate reduction for i8 coverage but check with your company.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with one company you may save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save a little off PIP or medical payments premium.
You should keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance coverage companies aren’t that generous.
A few popular companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, anti-theft, air bag, bundle, and driver training.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including good student, bundled insurance, multi-vehicle, good driver, accident-free, and air bags.
- Progressive has discounts for homeowner, online signing, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, good student, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers may include discounts for IntelliDrive, payment discounts, hybrid/electric vehicle, good student, new car, and continuous insurance.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include distant student, electronic funds transfer, early shopping, bundle discounts, and homeowner.
- USAA offers discounts including multi-policy, military installation, safe driver, vehicle storage, good student, multi-vehicle, and loyalty savings.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for newly retired, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, hybrid vehicle, safety features, new vehicle discount, and exclusive group savings.
If you need cheap auto insurance quotes, ask all the companies what discounts are available to you. A few discounts might not be offered on policies in your state. To find providers that provide some of the discounts listed above, enter your zip code here.
Why you might not save $402 a year
Popular insurance providers such as State Farm, Allstate and GEICO seem to constantly run ads on TV and radio. All the companies make an identical promise about saving some big amount if you change your insurance coverage to their company. How does every insurance company charge less that you’re paying now? It’s all in the words they use.
Insurance companies offer their best rates for the type of insured that earns them the most money. For instance, a profitable customer might be a mature driver, has a clear driving record, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. A propective insured who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and will also save money with a new company.
Potential customers who are not a match for these standards will be charged higher prices which translates to the customer not purchasing. The trick is to say “people who switch” not “everyone who quotes” can save as much as they claim. That is how insurance companies can confidently make the claims of big savings.
This illustrates why you need to quote coverage with many companies. It’s just too difficult to predict the company that will have the lowest rates.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions might help in determining whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- What happens if I owe more than my 2019 BMW i8 is worth?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete your zip code.
Auto insurance coverage information
Knowing the specifics of your car insurance policy helps when choosing the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property. It protects you from claims by other people, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 100/300/100 which stand for $100,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $300,000, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against claims like court costs, structural damage, pain and suffering and emergency aid. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage pays for damage to your i8 from colliding with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for things like driving through your garage door, colliding with a tree and hitting a parking meter. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as a broken windshield, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and theft. The highest amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Normally the UM/UIM limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Coverage for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for short-term medical expenses for pain medications, chiropractic care, nursing services, doctor visits and ambulance fees. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Knowledge is power
Drivers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, denial of a claim, poor customer service or questionable increases in premium. No matter why you want to switch, finding a great new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
When you buy auto insurance online, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, an insured cut full coverage only to regret at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The proper strategy is to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
We just covered many ideas to lower your 2019 BMW i8 insurance car insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting low cost auto insurance. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Additional detailed information can be found by following these links:
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Much Does Car Insurance Cost?
- Cheap Car Insurance: Myth or Reality?
- Will a Speeding Ticket Raise My Car Insurance Rates?
- Car Insurance Rates 2018: Why are Prices Increasing?
- How Much Does Car Insurance Cost for a 16 Year Old?
- Which Cars are Cheapest to Insure?
- Does a Teenager with a Learner’s Permit Need to be Listed on my Policy?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Volkswagen Jetta Insurance
- Chevrolet Cruze Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area