Bristol West Car Insurance Review in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Jun 21, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Bristol West is a car insurance company that serves customers — including high-risk drivers — in 43 states, providing liability, collision, comprehensive, and medical coverage
- The company offers numerous discounts, including for drivers under 18, mature driving course completion, and paying by EFT
- Bristol West offers multiple filing options, including online, over the phone, or through a highly rated app
Finding cheap car insurance that meets your needs can be an overwhelming process. We want to make it easy for you to get the information you need so you can make the right choice. This review of Bristol West provides a deep dive into the company’s coverages, discount options, service areas, and claims processes.
Read on to find out everything you need to know about Bristol West insurance. Get free quotes here from top companies by entering your ZIP code.
What insurance coverage does Bristol West Insurance offer?
Bristol West Insurance Group was founded in 1973 in Florida, offering personal passenger car insurance for state residents only. Currently, the company serves customers in 43 states, offering a range of standard and other automobile coverages to drivers at affordable rates.
Coverage options offered by Bristol West include:
- Liability. Covers injuries and property damages for the other driver when you are the at-fault driver in a car accident
- Collision. Pays for damages to your car, even if you are at fault
- Comprehensive. Pays for damages to your vehicle from non-accident events, such as vandalism or hail damage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection. Takes care of damages when the at-fault driver does not have enough (or any) insurance
- Medical coverage. Covers your injuries if you are in a car accident, even if you aren’t at fault
- Roadside assistance. Pays for a towing company or roadside assistance for covered vehicles
- Gap coverage. Covers the cost difference between what you owe and what your car is worth after a total loss
- Rental car reimbursement. Provides up to $50 per day for up to 30 days if you rent a car after filing a loss claim
- Rideshare coverage. Extends your auto policy coverage to any activities you do for rideshare, including Uber eats
Drivers who have a DUI or DWI conviction can still obtain car insurance through Bristol West, and the company provides the SR-22 or FR-44 certificate when required.
What auto insurance discounts are available with Bristol West?
Taking advantage of car insurance discounts like those offered by Bristol West may significantly lower your rates. While you won’t likely qualify for everything, speaking to a representative about the options you may be eligible for is one way to help lower your rates.
Bristol insurance has the following discounts available:
- Vehicle safety equipment, such as anti-locking brakes, air bags, and anti-theft devices
- Continuous insurance coverage
- Mature driver course
- 3-year clean driving record
- Out-of-town student driver
- Under-18 driver
- Policy paid in full
- Purchase in advance
- Electronic funds transfer payments
Even if you don’t immediately qualify for many discount options, you can always amend your policy when you do. One thing to keep in mind is that Bristol West insurance reviews indicate that the company may not always be quick to make requested policy changes.
What states does Bristol West offer coverage in?
Bristol West car insurance provides coverage for high-risk motorists in most states, making it an appealing option for many drivers. Knowing your state’s regulations will help guide you as you speak to a Bristol West representative about your coverage options.
While Bristol West does offer coverage in 43 states, it does not operate in:
- Washington, D.C.
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
Auto insurance companies don’t often receive stellar reviews, but this company has a higher percentage of customer complaints than other similarly sized insurance businesses. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Bristol West receives nearly twice as many customer complaints. It is not uncommon for insurers who offer high-risk insurance to have higher than average complaints. However, when you need a reliable insurance company, customer satisfaction is a factor you may want to consider.
How do you file a car insurance claim with Bristol West?
Bristol West Insurance offers multiple avenues for filing a claim. You can make a phone call to Bristol customer service to file a claim Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Eastern Standard Time. You also have the option of filing online 24/7 with the click of a button. The company has a mobile app available on Apple and Android devices. The app gets high ratings, with many convenient features, such as filing a claim right from your cell phone.
When it’s time to submit a claim, the company requires policyholders to provide specific information. If you have the required information on hand, the filing process can go quicker and more smoothly. When contacting Bristol West claims, you will need to provide:
- Your policy information
- Name, contact information, driver’s license information, and vehicle and insurance information for every driver who was involved in the collision
- The name of registered vehicle owners for all cars involved
- Name and contact information for passengers and witnesses
- Accident date and time
- Accident location, road conditions, and weather conditions
When you file your claim, stick to the required documents and information. If you admit fault, it can hurt your claim outcome.
Does Bristol West offer any other types of insurance?
Bristol West does not offer any other type of insurance for individuals. To streamline its processes and provide affordable rates, the company focuses exclusively on auto insurance. It provides private passenger car insurance and is currently testing commercial car insurance in select markets. However, Bristol West Insurance is part of Farmers Insurance Group of Companies.
Farmers Insurance parent group owns multiple insurance companies that provide different types of insurance. Under this umbrella company, you can find the following types of insurance:
- Rideshare (coverage for drivers for companies like Uber)
While Bristol itself does not offer home insurance, customers may be able to secure a discount if they also have a homeowners policy through the Farmers Insurance parent company.
The Final Word On Bristol West Car Insurance
Bristol West offers car insurance products in almost every state and provides a wide range of discounts. The company is known for insuring drivers who may otherwise find it challenging to obtain affordable coverage, and offers multiple convenient features to enable clients to easily manage their coverage plans.
Now that you’ve read our comprehensive review on Bristol West Insurance, why not get started? If you’re ready to explore your options, enter your ZIP code to get free quotes from top companies.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Kia Optima Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area