Which Cars are Cheapest to Insure?
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 4, 2019
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
When buying a new or used vehicle, smart shoppers take the cost of insurance into consideration when determining their monthly car payment. Car insurance prices vary considerably based on factors like your driving record, your age, and especially the type of vehicle you are adding to your policy.
Pretty much everyone knows that buying a high performance or high value vehicle is going to cause pain when buying insurance. More horsepower and top end speed means a higher likelihood of having or causing an accident. Expensive vehicles not only cost more on the sticker, but also cost more to repair. Fancy paint jobs and expensive technology drives up the cost for auto body repairs, and this results in higher insurance rates.
We took the some of the top-selling vehicles in the U.S. and ranked them by estimated annual insurance cost. Rates can differ based on the trim level of vehicle you are purchasing, so the rates below are averaged across all trim levels for each model.
|Rank||Make and Model||Estimated Annual Premium|
|19||Dodge Ram Pickup||$1,480|
Rates figured for 40-year-old driver with a clean driving record and full coverage with $500 deductibles
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Cheapest Vehicle to Insure: Honda CR-V
The Honda CR-V is a small SUV with starting price tag of $24,150. The CR-V has great IIHS crash test ratings across the board with a superior rating for front crash protection as well.
Any of the vehicles on the list above are going to be solid choices when it comes to paying less for car insurance. They are all moderately priced with above average safety ratings and below-average cost to repair.
How to Save Money on Insurance When Buying a New Car
The cost of insurance should be a consideration for anyone shopping for a new or used vehicle, and the tips below can help you cut the cost of insurance on your next car.
- Generally, the higher the cost of the vehicle, the more it will cost to insure
- Higher performance vehicles are more expensive to insure due to the higher cost to repair and the increased likelihood of having an accident
- Vehicles with advanced safety features like automatic braking, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control will tend to have cheaper insurance rates
- If safety is a primary concern, check the IIHS vehicle rating for any car you’re considering buying to see if it has acceptable crash test scores
- Assemble a short list of vehicles you’re interested in and get free car insurance quotes based on each model. Since rates are factored heavily based on your personal driving data, comparison shopping is the only way to know exactly how much you’ll have to pay for coverage prior to purchasing the vehicle.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Much Does Car Insurance Cost?
- Cheap Car Insurance: Myth or Reality?
- Will a Speeding Ticket Raise My Car Insurance Rates?
- Car Insurance Rates 2018: Why are Prices Increasing?
- How Much Does Car Insurance Cost for a 16 Year Old?
- Which Cars are Cheapest to Insure?
- Does a Teenager with a Learner’s Permit Need to be Listed on my Policy?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Toyota Sienna Insurance
- Jeep Wrangler Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Ford Escape Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area