Cheapest 1990 BMW 5 Series Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 26, 2023
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Searching for lower auto insurance rates for your BMW 5 Series? Are you a victim of overpriced auto insurance? Trust us, you’re not alone. There is such a variety of insurers to insure vehicles with, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, having more insurance companies makes it harder to find the lowest rates.
You should make it a habit to get comparison quotes before your policy renews due to the fact that insurance rates fluctuate regularly. If you had the best deal on 5 Series insurance six months ago you may be paying too much now. You can find a lot of wrong information about auto insurance online but I’m going to show you the easiest ways to stop overpaying for insurance.
Where Can I Get Cheap Insurance Coverage?
There are multiple methods to shop for 1990 BMW 5 Series insurance coverage, and some are more efficient than others. You can spend your afternoon talking about coverages with agents in your area, or you could save time and use the web to get prices fast.
Many companies take part in a program that enables customers to submit one quote, and each participating company can give them a price. This prevents consumers from doing quote forms to each company.
To get comparison pricing now click here to open in new window.
One minor caviat to using this type of form is you cannot specify the providers to get quotes from. If you prefer to choose individual companies to compare prices, we have a listing of companies who write insurance coverage in your area. Click to view list.
Whichever way you use, ensure you are comparing identical deductibles and coverage limits on every quote you get. If you use differing limits it’s impossible to determine which rate is truly the best.
How to save on 1990 BMW 5 Series insurance
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that many people don’t even know exist. Some discounts apply automatically when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you don’t get every credit available, you are throwing money away.
- Memberships – Affiliation with a professional or civic organization may earn a discount when buying auto insurance on 5 Series insurance.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger companies have a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home can help you save on auto insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- One Accident Forgiven – A handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
A partial list of companies that may offer some of the above discounts are:
- Mercury Insurance
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company what discounts are available to you. Savings may not apply in every state.
Tailor your coverage to you
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions might point out if your situation may require specific advice.
- Does insurance cover tools stolen from my truck?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Specifics of your auto insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of a auto insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. Auto insurance terms can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring. Below you’ll find the normal coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Medical expense coverage
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for bills for EMT expenses, pain medications, chiropractic care and funeral costs. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverage covers damage to your 5 Series caused by collision with an object or car. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for things like hitting a mailbox, hitting a parking meter and driving through your garage door. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to increase the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This gives you protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your BMW 5 Series.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently these coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Coverage for liability
This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to people or other property in an accident. It protects YOU from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have values of 50/100/50 which means $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $100,000 for the entire accident, and $50,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for things like medical expenses, pain and suffering, court costs and bail bonds. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like hitting a deer, theft, falling objects and hitting a bird. The highest amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Save your cold hard cash
Cost effective 1990 BMW 5 Series insurance is attainable from both online companies as well as from independent agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. Some companies don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
You just read a lot of information how to shop for insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even find the best prices are with a small mutual company. These smaller insurers can often provide lower rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like Allstate and Progressive.
More detailed auto insurance information can be found in the articles below:
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I find the cheapest insurance rates for a 1990 BMW 5 Series?
To find the cheapest insurance rates for a 1990 BMW 5 Series, consider the following steps:
- Shop around: Obtain quotes from multiple insurance companies to compare prices and coverage options.
- Maintain a good driving record: Safe driving habits can help you qualify for lower insurance rates. Avoid accidents and traffic violations to keep your record clean.
- Choose higher deductibles: Opting for higher deductibles can lower your premiums, but remember that you’ll need to pay the deductible amount out of pocket if you file a claim.
- Inquire about discounts: Ask insurance companies about available discounts, such as safe driver discounts, multi-policy discounts, or discounts for certain safety features in your car.
- Consider bundling insurance: If you have other insurance policies, such as home or renter’s insurance, consider bundling them with your auto insurance for potential discounts.
What factors can affect the insurance rates for a 1990 BMW 5 Series?
Several factors can influence the insurance rates for a 1990 BMW 5 Series, including:
- Age and condition of the vehicle: Older vehicles like the 1990 BMW 5 Series may have lower values, which can affect insurance rates.
- Location: Your location can impact insurance rates, as areas with higher rates of accidents or theft may have higher premiums.
- Driving record: Your driving history, including accidents and traffic violations, can affect the cost of your insurance.
- Coverage options: The coverage options you choose, such as liability-only or full coverage, will impact your insurance rates.
- Insurance company: Each insurance company has its own rating methodology, discounts, and pricing, so rates can vary between insurers.
Are there any specific insurance companies known for offering cheap rates for a 1990 BMW 5 Series?
While insurance rates can vary depending on individual factors, some insurance companies known for offering competitive rates for older vehicles like the 1990 BMW 5 Series include Geico, Progressive, State Farm, and Allstate. However, it’s important to compare quotes from multiple insurers to find the best rates for your specific circumstances.
Can I get classic car insurance for a 1990 BMW 5 Series?
Classic car insurance is typically designed for vehicles that are 20-25 years or older and have historical or collector value. While a 1990 BMW 5 Series may not qualify as a classic car, you may be able to find specialized insurance coverage for older vehicles through certain insurers. It’s advisable to inquire with insurance companies that offer classic car insurance to see if they provide coverage for your 1990 BMW 5 Series.
Are there any specific maintenance or safety features that can help lower insurance rates for a 1990 BMW 5 Series?
While a 1990 BMW 5 Series may not have the advanced safety features found in newer vehicles, there are still some maintenance and safety features that can potentially lower insurance rates, including:
- Regular maintenance: Keeping your vehicle well-maintained and up to date with service intervals can help reduce the risk of mechanical failures that may lead to accidents.
- Anti-theft devices: Installing anti-theft devices such as alarms or immobilizers can help prevent theft and may qualify you for a discount on your insurance premiums.
- Defensive driving course: Completing a defensive driving course can demonstrate your commitment to safe driving and may make you eligible for a discount from some insurance companies.
Can I reduce coverage on a 1990 BMW 5 Series to save on insurance costs?
Reducing coverage on a 1990 BMW 5 Series is an option
to save on insurance costs, but it’s important to carefully consider the implications. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Liability coverage: It is generally not recommended to reduce liability coverage, as this protects you financially if you cause an accident that results in property damage or injury to others.
- Collision and comprehensive coverage: If the value of your 1990 BMW 5 Series is low, you may consider reducing or removing collision and comprehensive coverage. However, keep in mind that doing so means you won’t be covered for damages to your own vehicle in the event of an accident, theft, or other covered incidents.
- Financial risk: Before making any changes to your coverage, assess your financial situation and determine how much risk you’re willing to assume. Consider the potential cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle without insurance coverage.
Can I insure a modified 1990 BMW 5 Series?
Insuring a modified 1990 BMW 5 Series may be possible, but it can vary depending on the modifications made to the vehicle. Some insurance companies may have restrictions or limitations on insuring heavily modified vehicles, while others may offer specific coverage options for modified cars. It’s important to inform your insurance company about any modifications to your 1990 BMW 5 Series and inquire about their policies regarding coverage for modified vehicles.
What are some additional factors to consider when insuring a 1990 BMW 5 Series?
When insuring a 1990 BMW 5 Series, there are a few additional factors to consider:
- Replacement parts: As the vehicle is older, availability and cost of replacement parts may be a factor in determining insurance rates.
- Usage and mileage: Your annual mileage and usage of the vehicle may impact your insurance rates. If you only drive the car occasionally or keep it as a collector’s item, you may be eligible for lower rates.
- Agreed value coverage: For classic or older vehicles like the 1990 BMW 5 Series, you may consider agreed value coverage, which ensures that you receive a predetermined amount in the event of a total loss, rather than the actual cash value of the car.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Toyota Highlander Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Insurance
- Chevrolet Impala Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area