1994 Mercury Cougar Car Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Having to pay for overpriced Mercury Cougar insurance can drain your checking account and put a big crunch on your finances. Doing a price comparison is free and is an excellent way to help make ends meet.
Many insurers compete to insure your vehicles, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurers to find the best rates possible.
Performing a rate comparison can be exhausting if you aren’t aware of the easiest way. You can waste hours talking about coverages with insurance companies in your area, or you could save time and use the internet to maximize your effort.
Most car insurance companies participate in an industry program that enables customers to enter their policy data once, and each participating company then gives them pricing for coverage. This system prevents you from having to do quote forms for every insurance company.
To find out what other companies charge for 1994 Mercury Cougar insurance click here to open in new window.
The one downside to pricing coverage this way is you are unable to specify which insurance companies to get quotes from. If you wish to select from a list of companies to receive pricing from, we put together a list of companies who write insurance in your area. Click here to view list.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but make absolute certain that you use apples-to-apples coverage limits and deductibles on every quote you get. If you use higher or lower deductibles it will be very difficult to make an equal comparison. Having just a slight variation in coverages could mean much higher rates. And when comparing insurance rates, know that obtaining a wide range of quotes gives you a better chance of getting a lower rate.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Allstate, GEICO and Progressive regularly use television and radio advertisements. All the companies have a common claim of big savings if you move to their company. How can each company say the same thing? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the right customer that is profitable for them. For example, a desirable insured could be between 25 and 40, owns a home, and has a high credit rating. A customer getting a price quote that hits that “sweet spot” receives the best rates and is almost guaranteed to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Consumers who fall outside this ideal profile will be quoted more money and this can result in business not being written. Company advertisements say “people who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much. That is how insurance companies can claim big savings.
This emphasizes why it’s extremely important to compare many company’s rates. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will fit your personal profile best.
Mercury Cougar rate determination is complex
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that help determine insurance coverage rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates enables informed choices that will entitle you to big savings.
- Pay less if you’re married – Being married can actually save you money when buying insurance coverage. Marriage translates into being more mature and responsible and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Little extras can really add up – There are quite a few additional coverages that can waste your money on your insurance coverage policy. Coverages like personal injury protection, accident forgiveness and membership fees may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good initially, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- Do you work long hours in a high stress job? – Occupations like doctors, social workers and financial analysts tend to pay higher average rates attributed to job stress and lengthy work days. Conversely, occupations like pilots, engineers and retirees have the lowest average rates for Cougar insurance.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Driving a car with an alarm system can get you a discount on your insurance coverage. Anti-theft devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all hinder car theft.
- How credit affects insurance coverage rates – A driver’s credit score is a large factor in determining what you pay for insurance coverage. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower credit scores. If your credit history is low, you could pay less to insure your 1994 Mercury Cougar by improving your credit score.
- Tickets mean higher rates – Whether or not you get tickets impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Only having one citation can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Drivers with dangerous tickets like DUI or reckless driving are required to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Never let your coverage lapse – Not having insurance is against the law and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage have a gap. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage might get you a license revocation or jail time.You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with your state department of motor vehicles.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you may find discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Paperless Signup – Certain companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application online.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for all your vehicles on the same insurance coverage policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may be able to get reduced rates for Cougar insurance.
Consumers should know that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will cut the amount you have to pay.
Companies that may have these discounts include:
Double check with all companies you are considering which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts may not apply in your area.
When should I talk to an agent?
When buying the right insurance coverage, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions may help highlight if you might need professional guidance.
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Do I have newly-aquired coverage?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Coverages available on your policy
Understanding the coverages of your insurance policy can help you determine the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find the normal coverages available from insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Mercury Cougar.
Since many drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently the UM/UIM limits are set the same as your liablity limits.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for short-term medical expenses like hospital visits, pain medications, X-ray expenses, nursing services and prosthetic devices. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
This will pay to fix damage to your Cougar resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers claims like scraping a guard rail, crashing into a building, backing into a parked car and rolling your car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like fire damage, damage from flooding, hail damage, rock chips in glass and hitting a deer. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
This coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have values of 50/100/50 which stand for $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $100,000, and $50,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is a combined limit which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage protects against things such as legal defense fees, medical expenses, repair costs for stationary objects, emergency aid and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford.
Shop around and save
Lower-priced 1994 Mercury Cougar insurance is possible on the web as well as from independent agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies don’t offer online quoting and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of tips how to lower your insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates than their larger competitors like Allstate or State Farm.
For more information, take a look at these articles:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Chevrolet Traverse Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Toyota Highlander Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area