Cheapest 1997 BMW 5 Series Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Jun 1, 2023
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Confused by the dozens of auto insurance company choices? You’re not the only one! There are so many choices that it can easily become a challenge to find the perfect company for you.
If you currently have car insurance, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using this information. Locating more affordable protection is simple if you know the tricks. But consumers benefit from understanding how companies compete online and take advantage of how the system works.
Complexity of BMW 5 Series insurance rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. Understanding what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Increase deductibles and save – Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be colliding with a building, vandalism, or theft. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive for 5 Series coverage.
- Poor driving leads to higher costs – Good drivers get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Just one citation can increase rates twenty percent or more. If you have severe violations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find they need to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Do you have a high stress job? – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for auto insurance? Jobs such as lawyers, social workers and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates attributed to high stress levels and long work hours. On the other hand, occupations like scientists, students and performers receive lower rates for 5 Series coverage.
- Older drivers pay less – Older drivers are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and receive fewer citations. Teenage drivers tend to be less responsible behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- High numbers of claims are not good – Auto insurance companies provide discounts to people who are claim-free. If you file claims often, you can expect higher rates. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- How many coverages with the same company – Many companies will give a discount to customers who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s still a good idea to compare rates to ensure the best deal.
Auto Insurance Comparison Rates
When shopping for auto insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rates from auto insurance companies in your area. The fastest way to compare 1997 BMW 5 Series insurance prices is to use the internet to compare rates. This can be done using a couple different methods.
- The recommended way consumers can analyze rates would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This method saves time by eliminating multiple quote forms for each company. One quote request gets you price quotes instantly. Just one form and you’re done.
- A different way to get comparison quotes is spending the time to visit the website of each company and request a quote. For sake of this example, let’s say you want rates from Nationwide, State Farm and Travelers. To find out each rate you need to spend time on each company’s site to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.For a handy list of car insurance company links in your area, click here.
Whichever method you choose, be sure to compare the exact same coverage information with every price quote. If you are comparing unequal deductibles or liability limits it’s impossible to truly determine the lowest rate. Quoting even small variations in limits can result in a big premium difference. And when comparison shopping, quoting more helps you find the best rates.
How much can you save with discounts?
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize every available discount very well, so the following is a list of both well-publicized and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using.
- Good Student – This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could trigger savings on insurance coverage for 5 Series coverage.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% less for 5 Series coverage than drivers with accidents.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way.
To see a list of providers with the best insurance coverage discounts, click here.
How much car insurance do I need?
When buying coverage, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Does coverage extend to my business vehicle?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Insurance coverage options for a BMW 5 Series
Knowing the specifics of insurance can be of help when determining which coverages you need for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Coverage for collisions
Collision insurance covers damage to your 5 Series from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things like scraping a guard rail, colliding with a tree and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Medical expense coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for expenses for doctor visits, pain medications, EMT expenses, prosthetic devices and hospital visits. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property. It protects you against other people’s claims. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see limits of 100/300/100 which stand for a limit of $100,000 per injured person, $300,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $100,000.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as medical services, loss of income and structural damage. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This provides protection when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family and damage to your BMW 5 Series.
Due to the fact that many drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things like theft, damage from flooding, vandalism and falling objects. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Shop smart and save
We just covered a lot of ways to compare 1997 BMW 5 Series insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may be surprised to find that the lowest premiums are with a smaller regional carrier.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, policy cancellation, being labeled a high risk driver and even delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching insurance coverage companies can be pretty painless.
Additional information is located at these links:
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I find the cheapest auto insurance rates for my 1997 BMW 5 Series in 2023?
To find the cheapest auto insurance rates for your 1997 BMW 5 Series, you can use an online quote tool. Enter your zip code and provide the necessary information about your vehicle and driving history. The tool will generate price estimates from multiple insurance companies, allowing you to compare rates and find the most affordable option.
What factors influence BMW 5 Series insurance rates?
Several factors can influence BMW 5 Series insurance rates, including:
- Age and driving experience
- Vehicle make, model, and year
- Annual mileage
- Safety features and anti-theft devices
- Driving record and claims history
- Credit history (in some states)
- Coverage options and deductibles
How can I compare auto insurance rates from different companies?
You can compare auto insurance rates from different companies by using online quote comparison tools. Enter your information and desired coverage levels, and the tool will provide you with quotes from various insurers. Remember to compare the same coverage options and deductibles to get an accurate comparison.
What discounts are available to lower my auto insurance premiums?
Auto insurance companies offer various discounts that can help lower your premiums. Some common discounts include:
- Multi-policy discount (bundling auto insurance with other policies)
- Good driver discount (maintaining a clean driving record)
- Good student discount (for students with a certain GPA)
- Safety features discount (having anti-lock brakes, airbags, etc.)
- Anti-theft device discount (installing an alarm system or tracking device)
- Low mileage discount (driving fewer miles annually)
- Defensive driving course discount
How much car insurance coverage do I need for my BMW 5 Series?
The amount of car insurance coverage you need depends on various factors, including your state’s minimum requirements and your personal circumstances. However, some common coverage options to consider for your BMW 5 Series are:
- Liability coverage: Protects you if you cause injuries or property damage to others.
- Collision coverage: Covers damage to your vehicle from collisions with other vehicles or objects.
- Comprehensive coverage: Protects against damage to your vehicle from non-collision incidents like theft, vandalism, or natural disasters.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Provides protection if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who has insufficient or no insurance.
- Medical payments/personal injury protection (PIP): Helps cover medical expenses for you and your passengers in case of an accident.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Highlander Insurance
- Hyundai Sonata Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area