2001 GMC Sierra Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 30, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2001 GMC Sierra are $908 a year including full coverage. Comprehensive costs approximately $138, collision insurance costs $170, and liability costs around $442. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $496 a year, and high-risk insurance costs around $1,950. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at up to $3,718 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $908
Rate estimates for 2001 GMC Sierra Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2001 GMC Sierra models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a 40-year-old driver, prices range range from as low as $496 for basic liability insurance to a much higher rate of $1,950 for high-risk insurance.
These differences highlight why anyone shopping for car insurance should compare prices using their specific location and risk profile, instead of using price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2001 GMC Sierra Insurance
Searching for the cheapest insurance on the web is impossible for consumers not familiar with comparing rates online. Since there are so many insurers to choose from, how can drivers effectively compare every one to find the lowest rates?
If you are paying for car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce your rates substantially using these tips. Finding more affordable insurance coverage can be fairly easy. Nevertheless, vehicle owners must understand the way insurance companies market on the web and use this information to your advantage.
Factors influencing GMC Sierra 1500 insurance rates
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
- Where you live is a factor – Being located in a small town is a positive aspect when talking about auto insurance. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents. Drivers who live in large cities have more traffic problems and much longer commute distances. More time commuting can result in more accidents.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are a ton of extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your auto insurance policy. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death and term life insurance may be wasting your money. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- How’s your driving record? – Even a single moving violation can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Careful drivers get better rates than bad drivers. Drivers who get serious violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart auto theft.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? – Liability insurance provides coverage when a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. It provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- How your age affects price – Older insureds tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and receive fewer citations. Teenage drivers are known to be less responsible when behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Your credit rating is important – Having a bad credit history is a large factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. So if your credit is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 by improving your credit score. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Jobs such as lawyers, architects and accountants have higher rates than average due to high stress levels and long work hours. On the flip side, professions such as actors, athletes and the unemployed get better rates on Sierra coverage.
Discounts mean cheaper 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 insurance rates
Car insurance can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Most are applied at the time of quoting, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- No Accidents – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts compared to frequent claim filers.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates on Sierra coverage than drivers with accidents.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit can result in better rates.
- E-sign – A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you have multiple policies with one company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to a professional or civic organization could trigger savings when buying car insurance on Sierra coverage.
- Drivers Education – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Distant Student – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
Companies that may have some of the above discounts are:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- Auto-Owners Insurance
Double check with each company what discounts are available to you. Savings might not apply everywhere.
Is there deception in advertising?
Auto insurance companies such as State Farm and Allstate constantly bombard you with ads in print and on television. They all seem to say the same thing that you can save if you switch to their company. But how can every company make the same claim?
Insurance companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of customer that makes them money. A good example of a driver they prefer could possibly be between the ages of 40 and 55, a clean driving record, and has great credit. Any new insured who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Drivers who do not match this ideal profile will have to pay higher premiums and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say “customers that switch” not “people who quote” save that much money. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently state the savings.
Because of the profiling, drivers should get quotes from several different companies. It’s not possible to predict which auto insurance company will give you the biggest savings on GMC Sierra 1500 insurance.
Tailor your coverage to you
When buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions might point out if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- What is the ISO rating for a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Car insurance coverage information
Understanding the coverages of a insurance policy aids in choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Liability insurance can cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property by causing an accident. It protects YOU against other people’s claims. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 50/100/50 that translate to a limit of $50,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $100,000, and property damage coverage for $50,000. Some companies may use a combined limit which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against things such as pain and suffering, repair costs for stationary objects, bail bonds, court costs and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your 2001 GMC Sierra 1500.
Since many drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits, their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently the UM/UIM limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Comprehensive auto coverage
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as rock chips in glass, fire damage and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum payout a insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
This pays for damage to your Sierra 1500 caused by collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things such as scraping a guard rail, colliding with a tree, crashing into a ditch and driving through your garage door. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses such as funeral costs, surgery, pain medications and dental work. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Coverage on a shoestring budget
Affordable 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 insurance is possible from both online companies as well as from independent agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. A few companies don’t offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
People who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including poor customer service, policy non-renewal, delays in responding to claim requests and high rates after DUI convictions. Whatever your reason, finding a new car insurance company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
We just covered a lot of techniques to lower your insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even find the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies.
Additional information can be read at these links:
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Insitute)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,440|
|Los Angeles, CA||$1,554|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$53|
|5-yr Claim Free||$56|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$31|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.