Cheaper 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata Car Insurance Quotes
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Mar 23, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Looking for the cheapest car insurance rates for your Mazda MX-5 Miata? Sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to buy car insurance? You are no different than millions of other consumers. Online insurance companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO increase brand awareness with ad campaigns and consumers find it hard to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
Best discounts on 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata coverage
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you can get discounts to help bring down the price. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but less common discounts must be requested specifically before being credited. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Drivers Education – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles with the same company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Driver Safety – Completing a defensive driving course could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates for MX-5 Miata insurance than drivers with accidents.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for switching to them before your current policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
- Military Rewards – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
It’s important to note that many deductions do not apply the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will bring down the cost of coverage.
For a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts, click here.
What determines your Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance premium
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates enables informed choices that will entitle you to big savings.
Shown below are some of the items car insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Drive less and save money – Driving more miles in a year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers rate vehicles based on their usage. Vehicles that are left in the garage get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Verify your car insurance coverage is showing the proper vehicle usage. Incorrect usage on your MX-5 Miata can result in significantly higher rates.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Some insurers give discounts to people who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Sex matters – Statistics demonstrate women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Women and men cause accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to get cited for more serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are the most expensive to insure and thus pay the highest rates.
- Your car insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Occupations such as judges, social workers and accountants tend to have higher rates than average because of high stress levels and lengthy work days. On the flip side, occupations like scientists, athletes and the unemployed receive lower rates for MX-5 Miata insurance.
- Special features that cut premiums – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft devices such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder car theft.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Tailor your coverage to you
When buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether you might need professional guidance.
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in my state?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Does my 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata qualify for pleasure use?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Buyer beware of auto insurance advertising tricks
Consumers can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all have a common claim of big savings if you switch your policy.
How do they all make almost identical claims?
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a profitable customer could be over the age of 40, a clean driving record, and drives newer vehicles. A propective insured that hits that “sweet spot” will get very good rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Potential insureds who don’t measure up to the requirements will be quoted a higher premium and this can result in business going elsewhere. The ads state “people who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much. That’s why insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings.
This emphasizes why it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. You cannot predict which insurance companies will fit your personal profile best.
Detailed coverages of your auto insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of auto insurance aids in choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Auto insurance terms can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement. Shown next are the normal coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Since many drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Coverage for medical expenses – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for expenses such as doctor visits, surgery, X-ray expenses and funeral costs. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision – This will pay to fix damage to your MX-5 Miata resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for claims such as backing into a parked car, rolling your car and crashing into a building. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to increase the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Liability coverage – Liability insurance protects you from damage or injury you incur to people or other property that is your fault. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 25/50/25 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) that pays claims from the same limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability insurance covers claims like medical services, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and medical expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford.
Comprehensive auto insurance – Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like vandalism, rock chips in glass, damage from a tornado or hurricane, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and hitting a deer. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
More effort can pay off
While you’re price shopping online, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the savings was not a smart move. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Affordable 2001 Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance is available both online and also from your neighborhood agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not provide online quoting and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Additional detailed information is located in these articles:
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Nissan Altima Insurance
- Chevrolet Cruze Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Jeep Wrangler Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area