2001 Volkswagen Golf Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Apr 27, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2001 Volkswagen Golf are $912 a year with full coverage. Comprehensive costs around $132 each year, collision costs $180, and liability coverage costs around $442. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $496 a year, with high-risk insurance costing around $1,962. Teenage drivers receive the highest rates at $3,742 a year or more.
Annual premium for full coverage: $912
Rate estimates for 2001 Volkswagen Golf Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2001 Volkswagen Golf models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For the average driver, prices range go from as low as $496 for a discount liability-only rate to a high rate of $1,962 for a driver that may need high-risk insurance.
These differences demonstrate why all drivers should compare prices for a specific zip code and risk profile, rather than using average rates.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2001 Volkswagen Golf Insurance
Tired of trying to scrape together enough money each month for car insurance? Your situation is no different than millions of other consumers.
Insurance companies such as Allstate, Progressive and GEICO constantly bombard you with ad campaigns and it can be hard to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using this information. Finding affordable coverage is easy if you know what you’re doing. But consumers do need to understand how big insurance companies determine prices.
Volkswagen Golf rates are complex
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that help determine auto insurance rates. Understanding what determines base rates enables informed choices that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
The following are some of the items auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Increase deductibles and save – Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your Volkswagen. A few examples of covered claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, vandalism, and rolling your vehicle. Physical damage deductibles are how much you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The higher the amount you have to pay, the less your auto insurance will be on Golf coverage.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Owning a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Higher safety ratings means cheaper insurance – Safer cars are cheaper to insure. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders. If the Volkswagen Golf has ratings of a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – Your driving citation history has a huge affect on how much you pay. Just one ticket can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Careful drivers get better rates than bad drivers. Drivers who have serious citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Not having insurance is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance expire. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with your state department of motor vehicles.
- Frequent auto insurance claims increase rates – If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Insurance companies generally give discounts to policyholders who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
Which Insurance is Cheapest?
Most major insurance companies such as State Farm, Allstate and GEICO give insurance quotes directly from their websites. Obtaining pricing doesn’t take much effort as you simply type in the coverage amounts you desire into the quote form. When the form is submitted, the system makes automated requests for your driving record and credit report and quotes a price. This makes comparing rates easy, but the process of having to visit many different websites and fill out multiple forms is monotonous and tiresome. But it’s absolutely necessary to have as many quotes as possible in order to get a lower rate.
An easier way to compare insurance pricing uses one simple form that gets price quotes from a lot of companies. It saves time, eliminates repetitive work, and makes online quotes much more efficient. After your information is entered, it is quoted and you are able to buy your choice of the price quotes you receive. If you find a better price it’s easy to complete the application and buy the new coverage. The entire process takes 15 minutes at the most and could lower your rates considerably.
To quickly compare pricing, click here and fill out the form. To compare your current rates, we recommend you enter the insurance coverages as shown on your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you are getting a price comparison based on the exact same insurance coverage.
Pay less by taking advantage of discounts
Companies offering auto insurance do not list every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list some of the best known and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Payment Discounts – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies will forgive one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Student Driver Training – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class in school.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. The discount lasts up to age 25.
- Save over 55 – If you’re over the age of 55, you can possibly qualify for better car insurance rates on Golf coverage.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with better rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house can save you money because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 20% or more.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it doesn’t quite work that way.
For a list of providers with the best car insurance discounts, click here.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Your coverage should be tailored to you
When buying proper insurance coverage, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- Is my trailer covered?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
The coverage is in the details
Knowing the specifics of your auto insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Shown next are typical coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Comprehensive auto coverage
This will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things like theft, a broken windshield and damage from flooding. The maximum payout a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Liability auto insurance
This protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people by causing an accident. It protects you from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 100/300/100 which stand for a limit of $100,000 per injured person, $300,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability can pay for things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, medical services, attorney fees and loss of income. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but consider buying as large an amount as possible.
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Golf from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims like backing into a parked car, sideswiping another vehicle and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for immediate expenses such as rehabilitation expenses, surgery, hospital visits and pain medications. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
This protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Volkswagen Golf.
Due to the fact that many drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.
Shop smart and save
When shopping online for insurance coverage, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice collision coverage to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
We just covered a lot of tips how to get a better price on 2001 Volkswagen Golf insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the lowest priced insurance coverage comes from a small local company. Smaller companies often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like GEICO and State Farm.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Insitute)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,443|
|Los Angeles, CA||$1,557|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$54|
|5-yr Claim Free||$56|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$32|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.