Compare 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 20, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Trying to find the cheapest insurance for your Chevy Silverado 1500 can turn out to be an all-consuming task, but you can learn our insurance coverage buying tips to make it easier.
There are both good and bad ways to compare insurance coverage rates and you need to know the quickest way to price shop coverage for your Chevy and find the lowest price either online or from local insurance agents.
You should make it a habit to take a look at other company’s rates before your policy renews because prices trend upward over time. Just because you found the lowest rates for Silverado coverage last year you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of wrong information about insurance coverage on the internet, so I’m going to show you some good information on how to stop overpaying for insurance.
Finding affordable coverage is simple if you know the tricks. For example, you may not know that the price of a 2008 Chevy Silverado will affect what you pay, but vehicle value is something insurance companies will use to determine your rates. If you have a current car insurance policy or need new coverage, you can follow these tips to shop for the lowest rates and possibly find even better coverage. Drivers just need to learn the most efficient way to shop for car insurance online.
Factors That Can Determine What Chevy Silverado 1500 Insurance Will Cost
When you’re looking to buy a vehicle, chances are you care about how much it costs up front. For example, your question may be something like, “How much does a 2008 Chevy Silverado cost?” This is perfectly fine, but you should also be considering what goes into determining long term costs as well. Mainly, your auto insurance.
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. Knowing what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that can help you get big savings.
- Pleasure use saves money – The higher the mileage driven in a year the more you will pay for car insurance. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars based on how the vehicle is used. Autos left parked in the garage qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Improper usage on your Silverado 1500 may be wasting your money. Make sure your car insurance declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Do men or women drive better? – The statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but men have costlier accidents. Men also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Marriage pays dividends – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount when buying car insurance. Having a spouse means you’re more mature than a single person and it’s statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Low deductibles can be expensive – Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, protects your Chevy from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and windstorm damage. Physical damage deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend if you file a covered claim. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the less your car insurance will be for Silverado coverage.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? – There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that can waste your money on your car insurance policy. Coverages for personal injury protection, accident forgiveness and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
- Older drivers save more – Teen drivers are known to be more careless behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Having to add a young driver onto your car insurance can really hurt. Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse is a quick way to increase your car insurance rates. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. Then you may be required to file a SR-22 with your state department of motor vehicles.
What discounts can you receive?
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may find discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Most are applied when you get a quote, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for in order for you to get them. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% for Silverado coverage with a few insurance coverage companies.
- Auto/Life Discount – Some companies give better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for insurance coverage for Silverado coverage.
- Safe Drivers – Safe drivers may save up to 50% more for Silverado coverage than less cautious drivers.
- Drive Less and Save – Fewer annual miles on your Chevy could be rewarded with a substantially lower rate.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will cut the cost of coverage.
Companies that possibly offer these benefits include:
- The Hartford
- State Farm
Check with every prospective company which discounts they offer. Discounts may not be available in your state.
Should you question what you see with insurance advertising?
Consumers can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance from the likes of State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies say the same thing about savings if you move your coverage to them.
But how can every company make the same claim?
All the different companies have a certain “appetite” for the driver they prefer to insure. For example, a driver they prefer might be profiled as between the ages of 30 and 50, insures multiple vehicles, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any driver who matches those parameters gets the lowest rates and therefore will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who don’t qualify for these standards will be charged higher rates and this can result in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “drivers who switch” not “people who quote” save that kind of money. That’s the way companies can advertise the way they do.
That is why you need to compare many company’s rates. It is impossible to predict the company that will provide you with the cheapest Chevy Silverado 1500 insurance rates.
Talk to Insurance Agents
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different.
For example, these questions might point out if your situation may require specific advice.
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Why am I being forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
What types of auto insurance coverage can you buy?
Having a good grasp of insurance helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against claims like crashing into a ditch, driving through your garage door and colliding with a tree. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive insurance coverage covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as hail damage, falling objects, rock chips in glass, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from getting keyed. The most an insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Liability Auto Insurance
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 100/300/100 which stand for $100,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $300,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) that pays claims from the same limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage pays for claims like attorney fees, loss of income, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and medical services. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Coverage for Medical Payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for expenses for things like ambulance fees, hospital visits and pain medications. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage
This coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Silverado 1500.
Due to the fact that many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Normally these coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Be Smart and Buy Smart
Affordable 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 insurance is definitely available both online in addition to many insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies do not provide online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where someone dropped liability coverage limits to discover at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, not issuing a premium refund, delays in paying claims or policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies can be less work than you think.
For more information, take a look at the articles below:
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- GMC Sierra Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Ford Edge Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Toyota Sienna Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area