2008 GMC Sierra Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 3, 2017
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2008 GMC Sierra are $1,098 a year for full coverage. Comprehensive insurance costs approximately $190, collision costs $272, and liability costs $478. Buying a liability-only policy costs as little as $526 a year, with high-risk insurance costing $2,366 or more. Teenage drivers receive the highest rates at $4,354 a year or more.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,098
Rate estimates for 2008 GMC Sierra Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2008 GMC Sierra models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a 40-year-old driver, prices range go from as low as $526 for a discount liability-only rate to a much higher rate of $2,366 for high-risk insurance.
These differences show why anyone shopping for car insurance should compare rates using their specific location and risk profile, instead of making a decision based on average rates.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2008 GMC Sierra Insurance
Want the cheapest insurance coverage rates for your GMC Sierra 1500? Trying to find the cheapest insurance for a GMC Sierra 1500 can turn out to be an all-consuming task, but you can use our insurance coverage buying tips to find lower rates. There is a better way to buy insurance coverage and you need to know the best way to price shop coverage for your GMC and obtain the lowest price from local insurance agents and online providers.
It’s a good habit to take a look at other company’s rates on a regular basis because prices go up and down regularly. Even if you got the best rates for Sierra coverage two years ago other companies may now be cheaper. There is too much inaccurate information about insurance coverage on the web, but I’m going to show you some proven techniques to find affordable insurance coverage.
How to Get Insurance
Effectively comparing insurance prices can be exhausting if you aren’t aware of the best way to get rate quotes. You can spend countless hours discussing policy coverages with insurance agencies in your area, or you could save time and use online quotes for quick rates.
The majority of car insurance companies participate in an industry program that allows shoppers to complete one form, and at least one company returns a competitive quote for coverage. This system prevents you from having to do quote forms to each individual insurance company.
To get comparison pricing now click to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to getting quotes like this is that you can’t choose the providers to get pricing from. If you prefer to choose from a list of companies to compare rates, we have a listing of companies who write insurance in your area. Click here to view list.
Whichever method you choose, make darn sure you compare exactly the same coverages and limits with every price quote. If you are comparing mixed coverages it will be next to impossible to truly determine the lowest rate.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both the well known and also the lesser-known ways to save on insurance. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home can save you money because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to a qualifying organization may earn a discount when shopping for insurance for Sierra coverage.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Good Students Pay Less – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
It’s important to note that many deductions do not apply the whole policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
To see a list of insurance companies who offer insurance discounts, click here to view.
There’s no such thing as the perfect policy
When choosing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For example, these questions may help you determine if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Are my friends covered when driving my 2008 GMC Sierra 1500?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
GMC Sierra 1500 insurance premiums are calculated by many factors
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse will be a quick way to trigger a rate increase. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you a revoked license or a big fine.You may then be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with your state motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Frequent auto insurance claims increase rates – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Companies provide better rates to insureds who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Some insurers provide better rates to policyholders who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you still need to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Men fork out a little more – The statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. They both are in accidents at about the same rate, but the males cause more damage. They also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
- Big city or small town – Being located in less populated areas is a positive aspect when talking about auto insurance. Fewer people means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers who live in large cities have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. More time commuting means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safer cars result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your GMC Sierra 1500 earned at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may be receiving lower rates.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can thwart your car from being stolen.
- A clean driving record saves money – Whether or not you get tickets has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Good drivers have lower premiums than bad drivers. Only having one ticket can increase rates forty percent or more. Drivers with serious tickets such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
Specific coverage details
Learning about specific coverages of a auto insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your GMC Sierra 1500.
Since many drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for immediate expenses for dental work, pain medications, chiropractic care, prosthetic devices and doctor visits. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Collision coverage protection
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your Sierra 1500 resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers claims like backing into a parked car, rolling your car, colliding with a tree and driving through your garage door. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also bump up the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as hitting a bird, fire damage, vandalism and a broken windshield. The most a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability insurance can cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. It protects you from legal claims by others. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see limits of 100/300/100 which stand for $100,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $300,000, and property damage coverage for $100,000.
Liability insurance covers claims such as attorney fees, medical expenses and emergency aid. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but consider buying as much as you can afford.
Pennies from heaven
Drivers switch companies for a variety of reasons including poor customer service, high rates after DUI convictions, unfair underwriting practices and extreme rates for teen drivers. No matter why you want to switch, finding a great new company is easier than you think.
When shopping online for insurance coverage, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where an insured cut liability coverage limits only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
We’ve covered many ideas to shop for 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Consumers may even find the best prices are with the smaller companies.
More information is available on the following sites:
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Insitute)
- How Much is Dallas Auto Insurance for a GMC Sierra? (DallasCoverage.com)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,734|
|Los Angeles, CA||$1,875|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$70|
|5-yr Claim Free||$70|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$42|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.