Cheapest 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Jun 4, 2023
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Looking for the cheapest car insurance rates for your GMC Sierra 1500? Sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to buy car insurance? You are no different than many other drivers.
Insurance companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Farmers Insurance constantly blast consumers with ad campaigns and it can be hard to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and take the time to shop coverage around.
It’s important to shop coverage around occasionally due to the fact that insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. Even if you got the best rates for Sierra insurance a couple years back the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. There is a lot of bad information regarding car insurance online, so by reading this article, you’re going to learn some good information on how to slash your car insurance rates.
How to save on GMC Sierra 1500 insurance
Car insurance companies don’t always advertise all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of both well-publicized and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using.
- Memberships – Participating in a qualifying organization could trigger savings when buying car insurance for Sierra insurance.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home can save you money because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies permit an accident before raising your premiums as long as you don’t have any claims for a set time period.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers may qualify for better car insurance rates for Sierra insurance.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member can result in better rates.
- Bundle and Save – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Life Insurance – Some companies give a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates for Sierra insurance than drivers with accident claims.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a defensive driving course could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
Tailor your coverage to you
When it comes to buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions can help discover if you might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- When can I cancel my policy?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Can switching companies really save?
Companies like Allstate and Progressive continually stream television and radio advertisements. All the ads say the same thing that you’ll save big after switching your coverage to them. But how can every company make almost identical claims? This is how they do it.
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the right customer they prefer to insure. A good example of a profitable customer might be profiled as over the age of 50, owns a home, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A driver who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and as a result will probably save when switching.
Potential insureds who don’t meet the requirements must pay higher premiums which usually ends up with business going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “customers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. That’s why insurance companies can confidently state the savings. This illustrates why you absolutely need to compare many company’s rates. You cannot predict which company will have the lowest GMC Sierra 1500 insurance rates.
Car insurance coverages for a GMC Sierra 1500
Having a good grasp of your policy aids in choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverage types found on the average insurance policy.
Coverage for medical expenses
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for expenses like surgery, pain medications, prosthetic devices, EMT expenses and doctor visits. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability coverage can cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property that is your fault. This coverage protects you against claims from other people, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have policy limits of 25/50/25 that means you have $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as pain and suffering, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, structural damage, bail bonds and funeral expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford.
This coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like falling objects, damage from flooding, hitting a bird, hail damage and fire damage. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This coverage provides protection from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your GMC Sierra 1500.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Collision insurance covers damage to your Sierra 1500 from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things like sideswiping another vehicle, damaging your car on a curb, crashing into a building, backing into a parked car and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
A penny earned…
When shopping online for auto insurance, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
We just covered some good ideas how to reduce 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with the smaller companies. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Additional information is located on the following sites:
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I save on GMC Sierra 1500 insurance?
To save on insurance for your GMC Sierra 1500, you can take advantage of discounts offered by insurance companies. It’s important to shop around and compare quotes from different companies to find the best rates. Additionally, you can tailor your coverage to your specific needs to ensure you’re not paying for unnecessary coverage.
Are all the discounts mentioned in the article applicable to everyone?
No, not all discounts mentioned in the article will apply to everyone. Some discounts may be specific to certain coverage types or eligibility criteria. It’s important to review the details of each discount and see if you qualify.
How do insurance companies make similar claims about saving money?
Insurance companies have preferred customer profiles that they offer the lowest rates to. These profiles often include characteristics like age, homeownership, and low annual mileage. When insurance companies say “customers who switch” save money, they are referring to customers who fit their preferred profiles. To find the lowest rates for your GMC Sierra 1500, it’s essential to compare quotes from multiple insurance companies.
What are the typical coverage types for a GMC Sierra 1500?
The typical coverage types for a GMC Sierra 1500 include:
- Liability coverage: Covers injuries or damage you cause to others.
- Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection: Covers medical expenses for you, your passengers, and sometimes pedestrians.
- Comprehensive insurance: Covers damage from events other than collisions, such as theft or natural disasters.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage: Protects you if you’re in an accident with a driver who has no insurance or inadequate coverage.
- Collision protection: Covers damage to your Sierra 1500 from collisions with other vehicles or objects.
Should I decrease my coverage to save money?
It is not recommended to decrease your coverage just to save money. It’s important to have adequate coverage to protect yourself and your vehicle. While it’s possible to adjust your coverage to fit your needs, make sure you’re not compromising essential protections. Focus on finding the best coverage at an affordable rate, rather than the least amount of coverage.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will Geico insure a car not in my name?
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Kia Forte Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Dodge Grand Caravan Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area