Cheapest 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Insurance Rates in 2023
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Mar 23, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Tired of scraping the payment together each month for car insurance? You are no different than many other drivers. Numerous insurance companies battle for your insurance dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a insurance company and uncover the absolute best rate
Mazda MX-5 Miata rates influenced by many factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.
- Higher safety ratings means cheaper insurance – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Mazda scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you are probably receiving a discount.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? – The liability section of your policy is the protection if ever you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Men fork out a little more – Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Both sexes have accidents in similar numbers, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also have more aggressive citations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Save money with special equipment – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart car theft.
- Pay less if you’re married – Having a spouse can get you a discount on car insurance. Having a spouse means you’re more mature than a single person it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so we break down both the well known and also the lesser-known auto insurance savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Driver’s Ed – Require your teen driver to enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles can qualify you for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a driver safety course can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Sign Early and Save – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching policies before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings up to 30%.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a house may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Accident Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents pay less when compared to drivers who are more careless.
It’s important to note that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To see a list of insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts, click here.
Can you really save $479 a year?
Consumers constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings by companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. They all seem to make an identical promise about savings after switching to them.
But how can every company make the same claim?
Insurance companies have a certain “appetite” for the right customer they prefer to insure. A good example of a profitable customer might be profiled as between the ages of 40 and 55, has no driving citations, and chooses high deductibles. A propective insured who fits that profile will get very good rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Potential insureds who do not match the requirements will be quoted higher prices and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “drivers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much money. That’s why companies can make those claims. This emphasizes why you need to get a wide range of price quotes. It’s just too difficult to predict which insurance coverage company will provide you with the cheapest Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance rates.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions could help you determine if you could use an agent’s help.
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Car insurance specifics
Understanding the coverages of your policy aids in choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are the normal coverages offered by car insurance companies.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – This coverage provides protection from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family and damage to your Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Liability coverages – Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 100/300/100 that translate to $100,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $300,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $100,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as attorney fees, structural damage, medical services, bail bonds and pain and suffering. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but consider buying as much as you can afford.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – Comprehensive insurance covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as theft, rock chips in glass, hitting a bird, hitting a deer and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum amount your car insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical expense insurance – Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses for things like chiropractic care, rehabilitation expenses, doctor visits, X-ray expenses and nursing services. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverage – This coverage pays for damage to your MX-5 Miata from colliding with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims such as driving through your garage door, crashing into a ditch, crashing into a building and colliding with a tree. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Shop Smart and Save
When shopping online for insurance coverage, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we presented a lot of tips how to lower your 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the lowest priced insurance coverage comes from some of the lesser-known companies. Smaller companies often have lower prices on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Cheap insurance is available on the web and also from your neighborhood agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
More detailed insurance coverage information is located in the articles below:
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Cheaper Named Operator Policy Car Insurance Rates in 2023
- Will Geico Insure a Car Not in My Name? 2023
- What Is Covered in a Jeep Powertrain Warranty? 2023
- Cheapest Jeep Insurance Rates in 2023
- Do Trucks Cost More to Insure? 2023
- How Long Does a Dui Stay on Your Record? 2023
- Does the Porsche Club of America Offer Car Insurance? 2023
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Honda Civic Insurance
- Hyundai Santa Fe Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area