Ford Ford Explorer Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Dec 7, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Searching for lower insurance coverage rates for your Ford Explorer? Have you fallen victim to an underperforming, overpriced insurance coverage policy? It’s quite common and there are many people just like you. People have multiple insurers to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have multiple companies, lots of choices makes it harder to find the best rates.
More affordable rates by receiving discounts
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but you may qualify for discounts that may help make it more affordable. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you quote, but a few need to be specifically requested before you will receive the discount. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are throwing money away.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers could receive better insurance coverage rates for Explorer insurance.
- College Student – living away from home attending college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who don’t get into accidents could pay up to 40% less for Explorer insurance compared to accident prone drivers.
- Low Miles Discount – Driving fewer miles may allow you to get better insurance coveragerates on cars that stay parked.
- Online Discount – A few insurance coverage companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
As is typical with insurance, most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like you could get a free insurance coverage policy, nobody gets a free ride.
Popular insurance coverage companies and some of the discounts can be read below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good driver, driver’s education, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- GEICO includes discounts for anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, anti-theft, multi-policy, emergency military deployment, and military active duty.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, good student, and online signing.
- 21st Century offers premium reductions for theft prevention, teen driver, homeowners, anti-lock brakes, automatic seat belts, and student driver.
- American Family may offer discounts for mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, good driver, multi-vehicle, Steer into Savings, TimeAway discount, and accident-free.
- The Hartford offers discounts for vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, air bag, driver training, bundle, good student, and defensive driver.
- AAA has discounts for anti-theft, AAA membership discount, good student, multi-policy, and pay-in-full.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent to give you their best rates. Some credits might not apply in your area. To see companies that provide some of the discounts listed above, click here.
Your insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Every insured’s situation is different and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions might help in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Does my 2018 Ford Explorer need full coverage?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Does auto insurance advertising bend the truth?
Consumers can’t avoid all the ads that claim the cheapest car insurance rates from companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. All the ads make the point that people will save if you get a free auto insurance quote and switch your auto insurance coverage to their company.
How can each company claim to save you money?
Different companies have specific criteria for the type of driver that earns them the highest profit. A good example of a profitable insured should be over age 30, has a clean driving record, and drives a safe vehicle. A customer getting a price quote that matches those criteria receive the lowest rate quotes and therefore will save when switching.
Potential customers who do not meet the “perfect” profile will be quoted higher premiums which translates to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state “drivers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much when switching. That is how companies can make the claims of big savings. This emphasizes why you should quote coverage with many companies. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest premium rates.
Auto insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of auto insurance can be of help when determining the right coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find typical coverage types found on most auto insurance policies.
Liability auto insurance
This provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property by causing an accident. It protects you against other people’s claims, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show values of 50/100/50 which means $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $100,000 for the entire accident, and $50,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like bail bonds, attorney fees, loss of income, pain and suffering and emergency aid. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but consider buying higher limits if possible.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for expenses such as doctor visits, pain medications, dental work and funeral costs. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as damage from getting keyed, hitting a bird, damage from flooding, vandalism and rock chips in glass. The highest amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Auto collision coverage
Collision coverage pays for damage to your Explorer from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for claims like scraping a guard rail, rolling your car, hitting a parking meter and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to bump up the deductible to bring the cost down.
In any little way, save everyday
We covered many ideas to lower your 2018 Ford Explorer insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates are with some of the smallest insurance companies. They may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
The cheapest 2018 Ford Explorer insurance can be found online and also from your neighborhood agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. A few companies don’t offer price quotes online and most of the time these regional carriers work with local independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed full coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
Even more information is located by following these links:
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Determining Your Vehicle’s Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Insitute)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
Frequently Asked Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Ford Focus Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Kia Forte Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area