How Much Does 1997 Dodge Dakota Insurance Cost?
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Want cheaper auto insurance rates for your Dodge Dakota? I can’t think of anyone who likes having to buy auto insurance, especially knowing they are paying too much. Insurance companies such as GEICO, Progressive and Allstate promote their brand names with TV and radio ads and it is challenging if not impossible to see past the geckos and flying pigs and find the best price available.
If you are insured now or are just looking to switch companies, you can use these tips to get lower rates while maintaining coverages. Finding the best rates is not rocket science. Vehicle owners only need to know the proper way to get comparison rates online.
Why your Dodge Dakota might be costing you more
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. Knowing what determines base rates enables informed choices that may reward you with big savings.
The list below includes some of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- One company can mean more discounts – The majority of companies provide better rates to customers who have multiple policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money. Consumers may find better rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – The more miles you rack up on your Dodge in a year the higher your rate. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage based on their usage. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Double check that your auto insurance policy is rated on how each vehicle is driven. If your policy improperly rates your Dakota can result in significantly higher rates.
- High numbers of claims are not good – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Insurance companies provide discounts to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Pay less if you’re married – Having a spouse helps lower the price on auto insurance. Having a significant other usually means you are more responsible and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there could be available discounts that you may not even be aware of. Most are applied when you purchase, but some must be specially asked for prior to getting the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Senior Citizens – Older drivers may qualify for a discount up to 10% on Dakota coverage.
- Accident Forgiveness – A handful of insurance companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
- Good Student – Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Paperwork-free – Certain companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks simply for signing online.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a house may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents pay much less as compared to accident-prone drivers.
It’s important to understand that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way. Any qualifying discounts will reduce your overall premium however.
To see a list of insurers with discount auto insurance rates, click here.
The fine print in insurance ads
Drivers can’t ignore all the ads for car insurance savings by 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to have a common claim that you can save after switching to their company.
But how can every company say the same thing?
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of customer that is profitable for them. A good example of a profitable customer could be between 30 and 50, owns a home, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A propective insured who meets those qualifications receives the best rates and therefore will cut their rates substantially.
Potential insureds who don’t measure up to these standards will have to pay a higher premium and ends up with business going elsewhere. The ad wording is “drivers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much. That’s why insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings.
Because of the profiling, it is so important to get as many comparisons as possible. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest Dodge Dakota insurance rates.
When should I use an insurance agent?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions might help in determining whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- What is medical payments coverage?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Detailed coverages of your insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of insurance helps when choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find the normal coverages offered by insurance companies.
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Dodge Dakota.
Since many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Usually these coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Auto collision coverage
This covers damage to your Dakota resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against things like scraping a guard rail, hitting a parking meter, rolling your car and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible to bring the cost down.
Medical costs insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for bills for EMT expenses, surgery and rehabilitation expenses. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This coverage covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as rock chips in glass, hail damage and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
This coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to other people or property in an accident. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see values of 100/300/100 that translate to a limit of $100,000 per injured person, a total of $300,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is one number which is a combined single limit which combines the three limits into one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for claims such as court costs, medical expenses and medical services. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but buy as large an amount as possible.
Feed the piggy bank
Cheaper 1997 Dodge Dakota insurance is definitely available both online as well as from independent agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. A few companies don’t offer online quoting and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
While you’re price shopping online, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to compare insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even find the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Subaru Forester Insurance
- Dodge Ram Insurance
- GMC Sierra Insurance
- Hyundai Sonata Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Rav4 Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area