How Much Does 2000 Jeep Cherokee Car Insurance Cost?
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Jun 12, 2015
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Looking for lower insurance rates for your Jeep Cherokee? Are you confused by the sheer number of insurance options? You have a lot of company. There are so many options available that it can turn into a big hassle to find better rates.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you will most likely be able to reduce your rates substantially using these tips. This article will let you in on how to effectively get price quotes and some money-saving tips. But vehicle owners must understand how companies compete online and take advantage of how the system works.
Why your Jeep Cherokee insurance rates may be high
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that go into determining auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates enables informed choices that can help you get better auto insurance rates.
Listed below are some of the items auto insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Special features that cut premiums – Driving a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder your car from being stolen.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Safer cars get lower rates. The safest vehicles result in less severe injuries and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you. If the Jeep Cherokee earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Battle of the sexes – Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Both sexes are in accidents at about the same rate, but men cause more damage. Men also have more aggressive citations like reckless driving and DUI. Young males are the most expensive to insure and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – The majority of insurers will award you with lower prices to policyholders who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you still need to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Driving without insurance can get your license suspended and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage have a gap. And not only will your rates increase, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance may earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with your state DMV.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Liability insurance is the protection if a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide you with a defense in court starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Pay less by taking advantage of discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. Some discounts apply automatically when you complete an application, but a few must be asked for in order for you to get them.
- Senior Citizens – Older drivers may be able to get reduced rates for Cherokee insurance.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less for Cherokee insurance than drivers with accidents.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization could qualify you for a break on insurance for Cherokee insurance.
- Own a Home – Owning a house can save you money because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying coverage on a new vehicle is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will bring down the amount you have to pay.
Companies who might offer these discounts are:
Before buying, ask every prospective company what discounts are available to you. Discounts may not be available everywhere.
Save $486 a year? Really?
State Farm and Allstate continually stream ads on television and other media. All the companies make an identical promise that you can save after switching your policy. But how can every company claim to save you money?
Different companies have a preferred profile for the driver that makes them money. For example, a desirable insured might be profiled as over the age of 40, a clean driving record, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any driver who fits that profile will get the preferred rates and is almost guaranteed to save when they switch companies.
Drivers who don’t meet this ideal profile will be charged higher premiums and this can result in business not being written. The ads say “customers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings.
That is why drivers should get as many quotes as possible. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will have the lowest Jeep Cherokee insurance rates.
Your coverage should be tailored to you
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions might point out whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Do I pay less for low miles?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- How much liability coverage do I need in my state?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- What are the best liability limits?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Educate yourself about insurance coverages
Learning about specific coverages of your policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things like damage from flooding, falling objects, theft and damage from getting keyed. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Insurance for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for bills for pain medications, nursing services, funeral costs and ambulance fees. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Cherokee from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims such as colliding with another moving vehicle, crashing into a building, crashing into a ditch and driving through your garage door. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also choose a higher deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
This coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property in an accident. It protects YOU against claims from other people, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 50/100/50 which stand for $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $100,000 in injury protection per accident, and $50,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability insurance covers things such as attorney fees, legal defense fees and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Jeep Cherokee.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits, their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Usually the UM/UIM limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to get a better price on 2000 Jeep Cherokee insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Consumers could even find that the best price on insurance is with the smaller companies.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, an accident victim reduced full coverage and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate.
Budget-conscious insurance is attainable both online and with local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers do not offer online quoting and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Additional insurance information can be read at the links below
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Ford Edge Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Toyota Corolla Insurance
- Toyota Sienna Insurance
- Ford F-150 Insurance
- Volkswagen Jetta Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Toyota Prius Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area