2016 Toyota Prius Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 29, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2016 Toyota Prius are $1,230 a year with full coverage. Comprehensive costs on average $260, collision insurance costs $458, and liability coverage costs around $376. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $426 a year, and high-risk insurance costs around $2,658. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at up to $4,594 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,230
Rate estimates for 2016 Toyota Prius Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2016 Toyota Prius models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a 40-year-old driver, prices range range from as low as $426 for only liability insurance to the much higher price of $2,658 for high-risk insurance.
These differences demonstrate why everyone should compare prices based on a specific location and risk profile, rather than using price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2016 Toyota Prius Insurance
Trying to find lower insurance rates for your Toyota Prius? Overwhelmed by the dozens of insurance choices? Many other consumers are too. People have so many companies to choose from that it can quickly become more work than you anticipated to locate the lowest price.
It’s a good habit to shop coverage around quite often since rates change frequently. Even if you got the lowest price on Prius coverage two years ago you may be paying too much now. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because you’re about to find out the best way to find better coverage at a better price.
Toyota Prius insurance premiums are calculated by many factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in better car insurance rates.
The list below includes a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, vandalism, and rolling your vehicle. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be on Prius coverage.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – The higher the mileage driven each year the more you will pay for car insurance. The majority of insurers charge to insure your cars based on how the vehicle is used. Cars that are left in the garage qualify for better rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. An improperly rated Prius may be costing you. Verify your car insurance declarations sheet is showing the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Big city or small town – Being located in a rural area can save you money when talking about car insurance. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. Drivers who live in large cities have traffic congestion and longer commute times. More time commuting can result in more accidents.
- Multiple policies with one company can save – The majority of car insurance companies will award you with lower prices to customers who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money. Consumers may find a better deal by buying insurance from more than one company.
Insurance Coverage Prices
All the larger insurance coverage companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO give insurance quotes on their websites. Obtaining pricing doesn’t take a lot of time as you simply enter your coverage preferences as detailed in the form. When the form is submitted, the company’s rating system pulls your credit score and driving record and returns pricing information.
This makes comparing rates easy, but the time required to go to a lot of sites and complete many quote forms gets old quite quickly. Unfortunately, it is important to do this in order to find lower prices.
A less time-consuming method to find better insurance coverage pricing is to use a quote form to get prices from multiple companies. The form is fast, requires less work, and makes online quotes much simpler. After your information is entered, it is quoted with multiple companies and you can pick any of the quotes that you receive.
If you find a better price you can click and sign and buy the policy. The whole process takes just a few minutes to complete and you will find out if you’re overpaying now.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now, simply click here to open in new window and submit your coverage information. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you duplicate the coverages just like they are on your policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will be getting a rate comparison for similar insurance coverage.
More discounts equal less premium
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts to help bring down the price. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied before they will apply.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Auto/Life Discount – Some companies give a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle on the same car insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% on Prius coverage depending on your company.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down on your Toyota could be rewarded with a substantially lower rate.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a house can help you save on car insurance because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Accident Forgiveness – Certain companies allow you one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But any discount will reduce your overall premium however.
To see a list of companies offering car insurance discounts, click here.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
It’s not one size fits all
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions can aid in determining if you may require specific advice.
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- What if I owe more than I can insure my car for?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- Are my friends covered when driving my car?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form.
Information about specific coverages
Learning about specific coverages of your policy aids in choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Medical payments and PIP coverage – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for immediate expenses such as ambulance fees, surgery, nursing services and EMT expenses. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision – Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Prius resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things such as hitting a mailbox, sustaining damage from a pot hole, hitting a parking meter and crashing into a ditch. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Toyota Prius.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Liability auto insurance – This coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property in an accident. It protects you from claims by other people. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see values of 100/300/100 which stand for $100,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $300,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which combines the three limits into one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for claims such as emergency aid, court costs and medical services. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as much as you can afford.
Comprehensive auto coverage – This covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like rock chips in glass, damage from getting keyed and vandalism. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Feed the piggy bank
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as being labeled a high risk driver, lack of trust in their agent, poor customer service or delays in responding to claim requests. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new company can be easier than you think.
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where an insured cut collision coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we presented a lot of techniques to get a better price on 2016 Toyota Prius insurance. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with the least-expected company.
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,938|
|Los Angeles, CA||$2,100|
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$90|
|5-yr Claim Free||$80|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$56|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.