Cheaper 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Insurance Cost
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: May 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Trying to find cheaper insurance rates for your Chevrolet Malibu? I can’t think of anyone who cherishes buying insurance, in particular when the cost is too high.
There is such a variety of car insurance companies to choose from, and even though it’s nice to have a choice, it can be more challenging to find the lowest cost provider.
You should take the time to price shop coverage once or twice a year because rates are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the best rates for Malibu insurance six months ago you can probably find a lower rate today. So just forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because I’m going to teach you how to quote online to lower your annual insurance bill.
Pricing the lowest cost car insurance is not that difficult. In a nutshell, anyone who buys car insurance stands a good chance to be able to reduce their rates. But consumers must learn the methods companies use to determine prices and take advantage of how the system works.
The quickest way to get rate comparisons utilizes the fact all the major auto insurance companies provide online access to give free rates quotes. To get started, all you need to do is give the companies some data such as whether you are single or married, types of safety features, if a SR-22 is needed, and your occupation. Your rating data is instantly submitted to all major companies and you will get price comparisons with very little delay.
To start a quote now, click here and enter the information requested.
Cut prices on Chevy Malibu insurance
Car insurance is not cheap, buy you may qualify for discounts to help offset the cost. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be manually applied before they will apply.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers can save substantially when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger companies have a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- One Accident Forgiven – Certain companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Multi-car Discount – Having more than one vehicle with the same company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- E-sign – A handful of insurance companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application digitally online.
- Early Signing – A few companies offer discounts for signing up before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- College Student – Kids in college who are attending college and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any qualifying discounts will reduce your premiums.
For a list of companies offering car insurance discounts, follow this link.
Tailor your coverage to you
When buying the right insurance coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Are my friends covered when driving my 1998 Chevy Malibu?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Insurance coverages and their meanings
Understanding the coverages of insurance can help you determine the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Listed below are the normal coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for immediate expenses for things like pain medications, nursing services and rehabilitation expenses. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Coverage for liability – This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims. Liability doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show values of 100/300/100 that translate to a limit of $100,000 per injured person, $300,000 for the entire accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) that pays claims from the same limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage pays for claims like attorney fees, court costs and medical services. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but you should buy as large an amount as possible.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Malibu resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for things such as scraping a guard rail, crashing into a building and crashing into a ditch. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. It’s also possible to increase the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This gives you protection from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Chevy Malibu.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently these coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Comprehensive insurance – This will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like a broken windshield, hitting a deer, damage from a tornado or hurricane and fire damage. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Don’t be a big spender
When you buy insurance online, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Discount 1998 Chevy Malibu insurance is possible both online in addition to many insurance agents, so compare prices from both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who do not provide online price quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Insitute)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a named operator policy?
- Will GEICO insure a car not in my name?
- What is covered in a Jeep powertrain warranty?
- Are Jeeps more expensive to insure?
- Do trucks cost more to insure?
- How long does a DUI stay on your record?
- Does the Porsche Club of America offer car insurance?
- View All Coverage Questions
Popular Rate Quotes
- Honda Odyssey Insurance
- Chevrolet Silverado Insurance
- Honda CR-V Insurance
- Toyota Camry Insurance
- Honda Accord Insurance
- Nissan Rogue Insurance
- Toyota Tacoma Insurance
- Hyundai Santa Fe Insurance
- Chevrolet Malibu Insurance
Compare Rates and Save
Find companies with the cheapest rates in your area