2002 Kia Optima Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Mar 24, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2002 Kia Optima are $982 a year including full coverage. Comprehensive costs around $138 a year, collision costs $160, and liability costs around $504. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $564 a year, with high-risk insurance costing around $2,106. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at $4,068 a year or more.
Annual premium for full coverage: $982
Rate estimates for 2002 Kia Optima Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2002 Kia Optima models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a middle-aged driver, prices range go from as low as $564 for just liability coverage to a high of $2,106 for a high risk driver.
These differences highlight why it is important for drivers to compare prices for a specific zip code and risk profile, instead of using price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2002 Kia Optima Insurance
Are you confused by the sheer number of insurance options? You have a lot of company. People have so many options that it can be more work than you anticipated to find lower rates.
If you currently have car insurance, you should be able to save some money using this information. Shopping for the best insurance coverage can be fairly easy. Nevertheless, car owners can benefit from knowing how companies price insurance differently because it can help you find the best coverage.
Are you getting all your discounts?
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list both well-publicized and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to a qualifying organization may earn a discount when shopping for insurance for Optima coverage.
- Senior Citizens – Mature drivers may qualify for a small decrease in premiums for Optima coverage.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of paying each month you can actually save on your bill.
- One Accident Forgiven – Certain companies will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear for a certain period of time.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Drivers Education – Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Consumers should know that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies don’t profit that way.
Companies that possibly offer some of the above discounts include:
Before buying, ask each company what discounts are available to you. Some discounts may not apply everywhere.
Compare Quotes for Car Insurance
The are a couple different ways of comparing rates and find the best price. The quickest method to find competitive 2002 Kia Optima insurance rates involves getting comparison quotes online. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- One of the best ways to get quotes for comparison is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This form keeps you from doing repetitive form submissions to each individual car insurance company. Filling out one form will return price quotes from car insurance companies with the best prices. It’s the fastest way to compare.
- A less efficient way to find lower rates is going to the website of each company to request a price quote. For instance, let’s say you want to compare State Farm, GEICO and Allstate. To find out each rate you need to go to every website and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular.
To view a list of companies in your area, click here.
- The least recommended way to compare rates is to spend your day driving to insurance agents’ offices. Shopping for car insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the personal advice only provided by licensed agents. It is possible to price shop your coverage online but still have the advice of a local agent and we’ll cover that in a bit.
Which method you use is up to you, but make absolute certain that you use identical deductibles and coverage limits for every quote you compare. If you compare differing limits it will be very difficult to determine the best price for your Kia Optima. Just a small difference in coverages can result in a big premium difference. And when comparison shopping, comparing a large number of companies helps you find a better price.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
What determines your Kia Optima insurance premium
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that go into determining the rates you pay for insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that could result in better insurance rates.
- Pleasure use or commuting – Driving more miles each year the higher your rate. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage based on their usage. Cars used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your insurance coverage shows the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. If your policy improperly rates your Optima can cost quite a bit.
- Small claims can cost you – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance companies provide cheaper rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Special features that cut premiums – Driving a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder auto theft.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Driving without insurance can get your license suspended and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time.You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with your state DMV.
When might I need an agent?
When choosing the best auto insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions might help in determining whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- How can I get my company to pay me more for my totalled car?
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Coverages available on your policy
Learning about specific coverages of insurance can help you determine which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This coverage provides protection when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Kia Optima.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
Medical expense insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for bills like hospital visits, EMT expenses, prosthetic devices and ambulance fees. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
This will cover damage or injury you incur to a person or their property. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 100/300/100 which stand for $100,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $300,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, structural damage and bail bonds. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as much as you can afford.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage covers damage to your Optima resulting from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims like rolling your car, colliding with a tree, crashing into a building, crashing into a ditch and hitting a parking meter. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also bump up the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like fire damage, falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane and hitting a bird. The most your insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Find Good Coverage for Less
Cost effective 2002 Kia Optima insurance is attainable both online and with local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance coverage companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
You just read a lot of ways to reduce insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the best prices are with the smaller companies.
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including questionable increases in premium, delays in paying claims, policy non-renewal and high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn’t matter what your reason, choosing a new company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,554|
|Los Angeles, CA||$1,680|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$55|
|5-yr Claim Free||$60|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$32|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.