2002 Volkswagen Passat Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 23, 2017
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2002 Volkswagen Passat are $942 a year for full coverage insurance. Comprehensive insurance costs on average $148, collision insurance costs $190, and liability costs around $446. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $500 a year, and high-risk insurance costs $2,024 or more. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at up to $3,826 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $942
Rate estimates for 2002 Volkswagen Passat Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2002 Volkswagen Passat models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a 40-year-old driver, prices range range from as low as $500 for just liability insurance to a much higher rate of $2,024 for high-risk insurance.
These differences illustrate why anyone shopping for car insurance should compare prices based on a specific location and risk profile, instead of using price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2002 Volkswagen Passat Insurance
Trying to find better auto insurance rates for your Volkswagen Passat? Overpriced Volkswagen Passat insurance can empty your checking account and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Shopping your coverage around is free, only takes a few minutes, and is a good way to tighten up your finances. Many car insurance companies vie for your hard-earned dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every company to discover the definitive best rate
It’s smart to get comparison quotes on a regular basis since rates are constantly changing. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates for Passat coverage a year ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. You’ll find quite a bit of inaccurate information about auto insurance online but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some guaranteed methods to slash your auto insurance rates.
If you have a current car insurance policy or are just looking to switch companies, you will benefit by learning to shop for the lowest rates and possibly find even better coverage. Choosing the best insurance company for you is quite easy. Drivers just need to learn the most efficient way to compare prices on the web.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before you get the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Paperless Signup – Some insurance companies will give a small break for buying your policy over the internet.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you will save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Sign Early and Save – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more for Passat coverage than drivers with accident claims.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
Car insurance companies that may have some of the above discounts include:
Before buying, ask each company what discounts are available to you. Discounts might not be offered in your state.
Volkswagen Passat rates influenced by many factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
- Being married is a good thing – Having a wife or husband helps lower the price on car insurance. It means you’re more responsible and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Liability coverage protects you – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you if ever you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide you with a defense in court starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Big city or small town – Living in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Fewer people means fewer accidents. Urban drivers regularly have much more traffic to deal with and much longer commute distances. Higher commute times translates into higher accident risk.
- How’s your driving record? – Whether or not you get tickets has a huge affect on how much you pay. Good drivers have lower premiums than bad drivers. Even a single citation can increase rates by twenty percent. Drivers with serious tickets like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Anti-theft devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Men and women tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but the males cause more damage. They also get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving. Teenage male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Increase deductibles and save – Deductibles for physical damage represent how much money you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims would be colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, or theft. The higher the amount you have to pay, the lower your rates will be for Passat coverage.
There’s no such thing as the perfect policy
When it comes to choosing coverage for your vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions might help in determining whether your personal situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Is other people’s property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in my state?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my 2002 Volkswagen Passat?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Learn about car insurance coverages for a 2002 Volkswagen Passat
Knowing the specifics of your car insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are typical coverages found on most car insurance policies.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims such as backing into a parked car, rolling your car and hitting a mailbox. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also raise the deductible to bring the cost down.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Volkswagen Passat.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Most of the time these coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Coverage for medical expenses
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for short-term medical expenses like X-ray expenses, surgery, dental work and pain medications. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover all vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive car insurance
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like theft, hitting a bird and damage from getting keyed. The most your car insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Liability coverage protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 25/50/25 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability insurance covers claims such as attorney fees, bail bonds, loss of income and repair costs for stationary objects. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but buy as much as you can afford.
Smart consumers save more
As you shop your coverage around, you should never buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at the best price.
We’ve covered a lot of techniques to shop for 2002 Volkswagen Passat insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the best prices are with a lesser-known regional company. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Insitute)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,488|
|Los Angeles, CA||$1,614|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$56|
|5-yr Claim Free||$58|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$33|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.