2009 Volkswagen Passat Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 23, 2017
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2009 Volkswagen Passat are $1,150 a year with full coverage. Comprehensive insurance costs approximately $202 each year, collision insurance costs $316, and liability insurance costs around $474. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $522 a year, and high-risk insurance costs $2,484 or more. Teenage drivers receive the highest rates at up to $4,524 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,150
Rate estimates for 2009 Volkswagen Passat Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2009 Volkswagen Passat models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a middle-aged driver, prices range range from as low as $522 for basic liability insurance to a high rate of $2,484 for a high risk driver.
These differences demonstrate why all drivers should compare prices using their specific location and risk profile, rather than relying on average rates.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2009 Volkswagen Passat Insurance
Scraping up a payment for overpriced Volkswagen Passat insurance can dwindle your savings account and make it impossible to make ends meet. Shopping your coverage around is a smart way to help make ends meet. Drivers have so many car insurance companies to pick from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, it can be more difficult to find a good deal.
Smart consumers take time to shop coverage around once or twice a year since rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. If you had the best price on Passat insurance six months ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. There is a lot of bad information regarding insurance on the web, but I’m going to show you some good information on how to quit paying high insurance rates.
Choosing the best insurance company for you is not rocket science. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will most likely be able to save some money using these tips. Vehicle owners just need to understand the proper way to compare price quotes online.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance
Getting a lower price on 2009 Volkswagen Passat insurance is a fairly straight forward process. The only requirement is to take time comparing rate quotes online with multiple companies. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The most efficient way consumers can make multiple comparisons would be an industry-wide quote request form like this one (opens in new window). This form keeps you from doing repetitive form entry for each company you want a rate for. Just one form gets you price quotes from many national carriers.
- A less efficient way to find lower rates is to take the time to go to each company’s website and request a quote. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want to compare rates from Progressive, Safeco and Farmers. To get rate quotes you would need to spend time on each company’s site to enter your coverage information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in your area, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but double check that you are using identical coverages for each comparison quote. If you are comparing different liability limits you can’t possibly determine the best price for your Volkswagen Passat.
Don’t miss these discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize every discount very clearly, so we researched some of the more common and the harder-to-find ways to save on insurance coverage. If you’re not getting every credit available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% on Passat insurance with certain companies.
- Senior Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for a small decrease in premiums on Passat insurance.
It’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To see a list of companies offering insurance coverage discounts, follow this link.
When might I need help?
When it comes to buying coverage, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Should I buy only the required minimum liability coverage?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- What is the minimum liability in my state?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- What is no-fault insurance?
If you can’t answer these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
Why your Volkswagen Passat insurance rates may be high
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that go into determining insurance rates. Understanding what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get better insurance rates.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Older drivers pay less – Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel. Teenage drivers have a tendency to be more careless when behind the wheel and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Having a spouse can actually save you money on your insurance policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more responsible it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Some insurance companies will award you with lower prices to people who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you still need to compare rates to make sure you are getting the best deal. Drivers may still find better rates by splitting coverages up.
- Your insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Occupations like lawyers, social workers and dentists have the highest average rates due to high stress levels and long work days. Other occupations such as pilots, historians and homemakers get better rates on Passat insurance.
- Better credit scores mean better rates – Your credit history is a important factor in determining what you pay for insurance. If your credit rating is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your 2009 Volkswagen Passat by improving your rating. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than those with lower credit scores.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are quite a few additional coverages that can waste your money on your insurance policy. Coverages for roadside assistance, accident forgiveness and term life insurance may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- Drive less and save money – The higher the mileage driven each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers apply a rate based on their usage. Autos used primarily for pleasure use can get a lower rate compared to those used for work or business. Double check that your insurance declarations sheet shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money. Incorrect usage on your Passat may be wasting your money.
- Men fork out a little more – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Men and women are in accidents in similar percentages, but the men cause more damage. Men also statistically have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Young males tend to get in the most accidents and thus pay the highest rates.
Save $412 a year? Really?
Consumers get pounded daily by advertisements that promise big savings from companies such as Allstate and Progressive. They all have a common claim about savings if you move your policy.
But how can every company make almost identical claims?
All companies are able to cherry pick for the driver they prefer to insure. For example, a profitable customer could be between the ages of 40 and 55, a clean driving record, and has great credit. A customer that hits that “sweet spot” is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don’t qualify for the “perfect” profile will be charged higher prices which usually ends up with business not being written. The ads say “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much money. This is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do. That is why it is so important to get quotes from several different companies. It is impossible to predict which insurance coverage company will fit your personal profile best.
Learn about auto insurance coverages for a 2009 Volkswagen Passat
Understanding the coverages of your auto insurance policy aids in choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. These are the normal coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
Coverage for medical expenses
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for expenses like X-ray expenses, prosthetic devices, rehabilitation expenses and funeral costs. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover you and your occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive auto insurance
This covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like a broken windshield, hail damage, vandalism and hitting a deer. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision coverage protection
Collision insurance pays for damage to your Passat resulting from colliding with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things like colliding with a tree, crashing into a building and driving through your garage door. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Liability car insurance
Liability insurance can cover damage or injury you incur to a person or their property by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 100/300/100 which stand for $100,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $300,000, and property damage coverage for $100,000.
Liability coverage protects against claims like attorney fees, medical services, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and loss of income. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Volkswagen Passat.
Due to the fact that many drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Be Smart and Buy Smart
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
In this article, we covered many tips how you can compare 2009 Volkswagen Passat insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest premiums are with a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Even more information is located in these articles:
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,818|
|Los Angeles, CA||$1,968|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$76|
|5-yr Claim Free||$73|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$46|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.