2012 GMC Sierra Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 23, 2017
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2012 GMC Sierra are $1,210 a year for full coverage insurance. Comprehensive costs an estimated $224 each year, collision insurance costs $368, and liability costs around $460. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $510 a year, and high-risk insurance costs around $2,618. Teenage drivers receive the highest rates at up to $4,702 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,210
Rate estimates for 2012 GMC Sierra Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2012 GMC Sierra models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a driver in their 40's, prices range range from as low as $510 for just liability coverage to a high rate of $2,618 for a driver who has had serious violations or accidents.
These differences illustrate why all drivers should compare prices for a targeted area and risk profile, instead of using average rates.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2012 GMC Sierra Insurance
Consumers have a choice when looking for the best price on GMC Sierra 1500 insurance. You can either waste hours driving around getting price quotes or use the internet to find the lowest rates.
There are both good and bad ways to find insurance online so you’re going to learn the absolute fastest way to price shop coverage for your GMC and find the cheapest rates either online or from local insurance agents.
It’s a good habit to take a look at other company’s rates occasionally since rates are usually higher with each renewal. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on Sierra insurance two years ago you can probably find a better price now. Starting now, ignore everything you know about insurance because we’re going to show you the right way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, buy you may qualify for discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but some must be requested specifically before you get the savings. If you don’t get every credit available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Paperless Signup – A handful of insurance companies will give a small break just for signing your application online.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home may earn you a small savings because maintaining a house shows financial diligence.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% on Sierra insurance with a few car insurance companies.
- Claim Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts compared to bad drivers.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
Keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck. But any discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
A partial list of companies that may have these money-saving discounts may include but are not limited to:
It’s a good idea to ask each insurance company how you can save money. Some discounts might not apply everywhere.
Auto Insurance Comparisons
Finding cheaper 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 auto insurance prices isn’t really that difficult. You just need to spend a few minutes on the computer to compare rate quotes online with multiple companies. This is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The best way consumers can analyze rates is a comparison rater form click here to open form in new window. This form eliminates the need for separate quotation requests for every auto insurance company. Taking the time to complete one form gets rate comparisons from auto insurance companies with the best prices. It’s the fastest way to compare.
- A slightly less efficient method to shop for auto insurance online requires visiting the website of each company to request a price quote. For sake of this example, let’s say you want comparison quotes from Liberty Mutual, Farmers and Allstate. To get each rate you have to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in your area, click here.
- The most time-consuming method of getting rate comparisons is driving around to and from local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you require the professional guidance of a local agent. You can, however, compare the best prices online and still use a local agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
Whichever method you choose, compare the exact same deductibles and coverage limits for each price quote. If the quotes have different limits and deductibles on each one then you won’t be able to make a fair comparison for your GMC Sierra 1500.
GMC Sierra 1500 insurance rates are influenced by…
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that play a part in calculating insurance coverage rates. Understanding what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get better insurance coverage rates.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Where you live is a factor – Residing in small towns and rural areas has it’s advantages when talking about insurance coverage. City drivers tend to have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Less people living in that area means a lower chance of having an accident.
- How your age affects price – Mature drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers. Youthful drivers have a tendency to be careless and easily distracted in a vehicle and because of this, their insurance coverage rates are much higher.
- Bump up deductibles to save – Deductibles for physical damage represent how much money you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are colliding with a building, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive on Sierra insurance.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – Insurance companies give discounts to insureds who are claim-free. If you frequently file small claims, you can expect higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Save money with special equipment – Owning a car with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Safer cars are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims passed on to you as lower rates. If the GMC Sierra 1500 earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may qualify for a discount.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – The majority of insurers will give a discount to people who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s in your best interest to compare rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Better credit scores mean better rates – Credit score is a huge factor in calculating your insurance coverage rates. Drivers with good credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower ratings. If your credit rating is low, you could save money insuring your 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 by repairing your credit.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in my state?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- What are the best liability limits?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Car insurance specifics
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can be of help when determining the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as rock chips in glass, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from flooding and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider dropping full coverage.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things like sustaining damage from a pot hole, crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb, crashing into a building and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Coverage for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for immediate expenses for things like funeral costs, hospital visits, prosthetic devices and EMT expenses. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your GMC Sierra 1500.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Normally these coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
Auto liability insurance
This coverage protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property by causing an accident. It protects YOU from claims by other people. It does not cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see values of 100/300/100 that means you have $100,000 bodily injury coverage, $300,000 for the entire accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for things such as court costs, attorney fees and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but buy as much as you can afford.
Be a money saver!
People who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, delays in paying claims, being labeled a high risk driver or an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching auto insurance companies is not as difficult as it may seem.
In this article, we presented a lot of tips how to lower your 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with a small mutual company.
Cheap insurance can be bought on the web in addition to many insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not provide online quoting and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Insitute)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Insitute)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$1,914|
|Los Angeles, CA||$2,067|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$82|
|5-yr Claim Free||$77|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$50|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.