2018 Toyota Highlander Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Nov 19, 2019
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2018 Toyota Highlander are $1,376 a year including full coverage. Comprehensive insurance costs on average $308, collision costs $494, and liability insurance costs $416. Buying a liability-only policy costs as little as $474 a year, with high-risk insurance costing $2,964 or more. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at $5,116 a year or more.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,376
Rate estimates for 2018 Toyota Highlander Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2018 Toyota Highlander models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For the average driver, prices range go from as low as $474 for a discount liability-only rate to the much higher price of $2,964 for a driver that may need high-risk insurance.
These differences highlight why everyone should compare rates based on a specific location and risk profile, rather than relying on price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2018 Toyota Highlander Insurance
Are you at wits end from robbing Peter to pay Paul to buy insurance? You have the same problem as many other consumers. Since you have so many insurance providers from which to choose, it can be diffult for drivers to find the cheapest insurance provider.
The purpose of this article is to help educate you on how car insurance quotes work and some tricks to saving. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will most likely be able to reduce your rates substantially using these methods. Vehicle owners just need to learn the tricks to find the lowest price over the internet.
Shop car insurance online
All major car insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm make it easy to get pricing direct online. Getting quotes is fairly simple as you simply type in your coverage information as requested by the quote form. When the form is submitted, the system gets reports for credit and driving violations and returns a price. Online quotes makes it easy to compare insurance prices but the work required to visit multiple sites and fill out multiple forms can be a bit tiresome and repetitive. But it’s very important to compare as many rates as possible if you want to get the lowest car insurance rates.
The quickest way to find cheaper rates requires only one form that gets price quotes from a bunch of companies at once. It’s a real time-saver, reduces the work, and makes online quotes a little more enjoyable. As soon as the form is sent, it gets priced with multiple companies and you can pick any of the price quotes you receive.
If one or more price quotes are lower than your current rates, it’s easy to complete the application and purchase coverage. The entire process can be completed in a matter of minutes and may save quite a bit of money.
To quickly compare rates now, click here to open in new window and submit your coverage information. If you currently have coverage, we recommend that you enter the limits and deductibles as shown on your current policy. Doing this assures you will have rate quotes based on identical coverages.
Do insurance companies bend the truth?
Drivers constantly see and hear ads that claim the cheapest prices from companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. All the ads seem to make the promise about how much you will save just by moving your insurance policy to them.
How is it plausible that every one can charge less that you’re paying now? Here is the trick they use.
Companies have specific characteristics for the type of insured that will most likely be profitable. One example of a profitable risk profile might be over the age of 50, carries full coverage, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A driver that matches those criteria receives the best car insurance rates and as a result will probably save if they switch.
People who are not a match for these standards will probably have to pay higher prices which results in business not being written. Company advertisements say “people who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save that much money. That’s why insurance companies can state the savings.
Each company has different criteria, so you really need to get a wide range of price quotes. It is just not possible to predict which company will have the best rates for your profile.
Seven tips to get lower-cost insurance costs
Many things are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious such as your driving history, but other criteria are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
The itemized list below are some of the major factors companies use to determine premiums.
- Safety first – Vehicles with good safety scores are cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Gals tend to take less risk – Over time, data shows that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Males and females cause fender benders in similar numbers, but males have costlier accidents. They also receive more major tickets such as DWI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 tend to get in the most accidents so it costs more to insure them.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – If you are a frequent claim filer, you shouldn’t be surprised to get either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies give better rates to insureds who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- Save mileage and save money – The more you drive your Toyota annually the more you will pay for car insurance. A lot of companies calculate prices based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars that sit idle most of the time can get a lower rate compared to those used for work or business. Double check that your policy is showing the proper vehicle usage. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Highlander is throwing money out the window.
- Cheaper rates after marriage – Having a spouse may save some money when buying car insurance. Marriage may mean you are more mature and responsible and insurance companies like that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Credit score impacts rates – Having a bad credit rating can be a huge factor in calculating your premium rate. Therefore, if your credit history can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your 2018 Toyota Highlander by taking the time to improve your credit score. Drivers who have very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with bad credit.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money – Lots of companies afford a discount to clients who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, drivers will still want to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
Don’t overlook these auto insurance discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you might find some hidden discounts to help offset the cost. Some discounts apply automatically at the time of quoting, but a few need to be asked about in order for you to get them.
- Accident Free – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can save substantially as opposed to accident-prone drivers.
- ABS Brakes – Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- E-sign – Many larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for signing up over the internet.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 15% off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Government Employee Discount – Active or former government employment may qualify for a discount when you quote auto insurance for Highlander insurance but check with your company.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course in high school.
- Driver Training Discounts – Completing a course teaching driver safety skills is a good idea and can lower rates and make you a better driver.
Policy discounts save money, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Despite the fact that it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will cut the cost of coverage.
Popular auto insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are:
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, and anti-theft.
- GEICO has discounts for daytime running lights, military active duty, five-year accident-free, driver training, and federal employee.
- Progressive may offer discounts for homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, good student, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
- 21st Century offers discounts for anti-lock brakes, homeowners, student driver, automatic seat belts, and driver training.
- American Family offers discounts including early bird, good driver, bundled insurance, multi-vehicle, mySafetyValet, good student, and Steer into Savings.
- The Hartford discounts include defensive driver, bundle, vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, driver training, and good student.
- AAA may have discounts that include education and occupation, multi-policy, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good student, multi-car, and good driver.
Before you buy a policy, ask each company or agent which discounts they offer. A few discounts may not apply to policyholders in your area. If you would like to see a list of auto insurance companies who offer online auto insurance quotes, click this link.
When to get professional advice
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different so your insurance needs to address that. These are some specific questions could help you determine whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Are my friends covered when driving my car?
- Should I rate my 2018 Toyota Highlander as pleasure use or commute?
- Who is covered by my policy?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of insurance coverage companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Car insurance policy specifics
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are the usual coverages available from car insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This gives you protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your 2018 Toyota Highlander.
Since many drivers carry very low liability coverage limits, their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Most of the time these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for short-term medical expenses like surgery, dental work, funeral costs and ambulance fees. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as a broken windshield, hitting a bird, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, vandalism and rock chips in glass. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision – Collision coverage covers damage to your Highlander resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against things such as scraping a guard rail, rolling your car, crashing into a ditch, hitting a mailbox and damaging your car on a curb. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible to bring the cost down.
Liability auto insurance – Liability insurance will cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 50/100/50 which means a $50,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers things such as attorney fees, loss of income and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Best coverage at the best price
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped collision coverage only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
We’ve covered many ideas to reduce 2018 Toyota Highlander insurance premium rates online. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even discover the best premium rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies can often provide lower prices in certain areas than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
More learning opportunities
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$2,175|
|Los Angeles, CA||$2,355|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$98|
|5-yr Claim Free||$88|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$61|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.