2019 Volkswagen Passat Insurance Rates
Enter your zip code below to view companies that have cheap auto insurance rates.
UPDATED: Apr 30, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Average insurance rates for a 2019 Volkswagen Passat are $1,472 a year for full coverage. Comprehensive costs approximately $320, collision insurance costs $596, and liability coverage costs around $398. Buying a liability-only policy costs as low as $460 a year, and high-risk insurance costs around $3,190. Teen drivers receive the highest rates at up to $5,446 a year.
Annual premium for full coverage: $1,472
Rate estimates for 2019 Volkswagen Passat Insurance
Rate data is compiled from all 50 U.S. states and averaged for all 2019 Volkswagen Passat models. Rates are based on a 40-year-old male driver, $500 comprehensive and collision deductibles, and a clean driving record. Remaining premium consists of UM/UIM coverage, Medical/PIP, and policy fees.
Price Range by Coverage and Risk
For a driver in their 40's, prices range range from as low as $460 for the bare minimum liability coverage to a much higher rate of $3,190 for a driver who has had serious violations or accidents.
These differences show why anyone shopping for car insurance should compare prices using their specific location and risk profile, rather than using price averages.
Use the form below to get rates for your location.
Enter your zip code below to view companies based on your location that have cheap auto insurance rates.
Recommended Companies for Cheap 2019 Volkswagen Passat Insurance
Searching for lower car insurance rates for your Volkswagen Passat? Did a good deal turn out to be overpriced car insurance? Trust us, there are many consumers feeling the pinch from expensive car insurance. You have so many car insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s nice to be able to choose, too many choices makes it more difficult to find the lowest rates.
How your Passat insurance premiums are determined
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the things that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that could result in lower car insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the most common factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set prices.
- Consolidate home and auto and save – Most insurers apply lower prices to insureds that buy multiple policies. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be ten percent or more. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to shop around to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
- Deter theft and pay less – Owning a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Systems that thwart theives such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help stop car theft.
- How many miles do you drive? – The more you drive in a year the more you will pay for car insurance. The majority of insurers calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles left parked in the garage can get a lower rate than cars that get driven a lot. Improper usage on your Passat is throwing money out the window. It’s a smart idea to ensure your policy properly reflects the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Car insurance policy lapses increase prices – Going without insurance is a fast way to bump up your car insurance costs. In addition to paying higher rates, being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you fines or a revoked license. You could then be forced to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with your state DMV.
- Cheaper premiums for being claim-free – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you should expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Companies provide discounts to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. Auto insurance is designed for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Do you have a tough vocation? – Careers like doctors, social workers and accountants have the highest rates due to stressful work requirements and incredibly demanding work hours. On the flip side, occupations such as professors, students and homemakers have lower than average premiums on Passat coverage.
Get lower rates with these discounts
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise every disount available very clearly, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you.
- College Student Discount – Older children living away from home attending college and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles help deter theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Government Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote car insurance on Passat coverage but check with your company.
- Low Mileage – Driving less can qualify you for lower premium rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles and insure them with the same company you could earn a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Good Grades Discount – Maintaining excellent grades can save 20 to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to qualifying clubs or civic groups could trigger savings on your next insurance statement.
Don’t be surprised that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
A few of the larger companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are:
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include switch companies, distant student, homeowner, early shopping, multi-car, and youthful driver.
- State Farm discounts include safe vehicle, driver’s education, anti-theft, accident-free, multiple autos, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including safety features, new graduate, newly retired, multi-car, good student, and exclusive group savings.
- MetLife offers discounts for multi-policy, claim-free, good student, good driver, accident-free, and defensive driver.
- Progressive includes discounts for online quote discount, multi-vehicle, homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-policy, online signing, and good student.
If you need inexpensive car insurance quotes, ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Some credits may not apply to policies in your area.
Buyer beware of insurance coverage advertising tricks
Drivers constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings by companies like State Farm and Allstate. They all seem to say the same thing about savings just by moving your insurance coverage policy to them.
That’s great but how can every company make the same claim? This is the way they can do it.
All companies can use profiling for the type of customer they prefer to insure. One example of a desirable risk could possibly be between 25 and 40, has no claims, and has a high credit rating. Any driver who meets those qualifications will get a cheap rate quote and will most likely save a lot of money.
Insureds who fall short of these stringent criteria may be required to pay higher premium rates and ends up with the customer buying from someone else. If you pay attention, the ads say “customers that switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” will save that much if they switch. That’s the way companies can truthfully claim big savings. This really emphasizes why you should compare many company’s rates. It is impossible to predict with any certainty which company will give you lower prices than your current company.
Insurance can be complex
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions may help you determine if you will benefit from professional help.
- How much liability insurance is required?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out your zip code. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Insurance coverage options for a 2019 Volkswagen Passat
Learning about specific coverages of your policy aids in choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. Insurance terms can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find the usual coverages available from insurance companies.
Insurance for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for chiropractic care, ambulance fees and hospital visits. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as hitting a bird, falling objects and vandalism. The maximum payout your insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Passat caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, sideswiping another vehicle and rolling your car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to raise the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Liability insurance provides protection from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people by causing an accident. It protects you from legal claims by others, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see values of 25/50/25 which stand for $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability can pay for claims such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, legal defense fees, structural damage and emergency aid. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but buy higher limits if possible.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Volkswagen Passat.
Since many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Have money to burn
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where an insured cut full coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Discount 2019 Volkswagen Passat insurance is attainable online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare rates from both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers don’t offer online price quotes and these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agencies.
More detailed car insurance information can be found in these articles:
Rates by U.S. City
|New York City, NY||$2,328|
|Los Angeles, CA||$2,517|
Need a specific model?
Choose your model and trim below
Rates by Driver Age
Full coverage, $500 deductibles
Rates by Deductible
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates by Liability Limit
Full coverage, driver age 40
Rates for High Risk Drivers
Full coverage, $500 deductibles, two speeding tickets, and one at-fault accident
If a financial responsibility filing is required, the additional charge below may also apply.
Potential Rate Discounts
If you qualify for discounts, you may save the amounts shown below.
|5-yr Accident Free||$111|
|5-yr Claim Free||$96|
|Paid in Full/EFT||$69|
Discounts are estimated and may not be available from every company or in every state.